• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF changed original fonts and hyperlinks don't work

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using MacBook Pro and have Microsoft Word 2016 and Adobe Acrobat 2015 version installed.

Objective: to convert microsoft word file to pdf document with all internal links (table of contents, cross reference links, etc) working.

What I've done:

First try: converted the document to pdf using 'Save As' option straight from Ms. Word, chose 'best for online viewing' to retain all the links. What happened was, the links were all working but all original fonts are gone and replaced with some sort of generic font throughout the document

Second try: tried to create pdf using Adobe Acrobat, it automatically converts the word document into pdf but later found out that all the links were not working at all.

I need to know how to convert a word document into pdf without losing the hyperlinks/internal links and original font. Not sure why Ms. Word just decided to change all of my fonts....

Help...

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

It is 2021 and this is still an issue. It has driven me mad. The solution I have found rom testing every way to create a PDF appears to be something to do with the 'Adobe Create PDF cloud service'. The only way to both create a PDF with embedded fonts *and* retain hyperlinks is to disable the 'use Adobe Create cloud service'.

From the Acrobat tab in Word's ribbon click 'create PDF' and then click 'No' to create a PDF without using this service if prompted. If you are not prompted maybe you alrea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi krystelh53602876,

Please click on Acrobat ribbon in Microsoft word application and select preferences.

Then check box for Add links under Security tab.

Now try to convert word file to PDF using Create PDF option under Acrobat ribbon.

Let us know if issue still persists.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Unfortunately, when I click on Acrobat ribbon in Microsoft word application, it only shows Create PDF option and nothing else. Is this an issue with Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi krystelh53602876,

Could you please share the screenshot of the options you get when you click on Acrobat Ribbon.

Please also let us know the exact dot version of Adobe Acrobat and OS installed on your system.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hyperlinks aren't preserved in the Mac version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem on my Mac (using Word for Mac 2016).  I was using only Mac-installed fonts, and anything besides Arial was replaced by something else.  Since I wanted to keep hyperlinks, we couldn't use the File > Print (or the Save As Adobe Acrobat) option.

It took me a long time and some persistence, but I finally got help on the issue from a very helpful Adobe support person, @Ankur Sharma.  He was able to reproduce the problem and lodged it as a bug (ADC-4212190).

While we were looking at other options, I found out that the Save As Adobe Acrobat option uses Distiller, which on the PC version can preserve hyperlinks, bookmarks, etc., but not on the Mac.  So we also put in a feature request (ADC-4210906) to add this functionality to the Mac version too.  Obviously, the more people they hear from who express an interest, the more likely it is Adobe will act on it, so please, Mac users, let Adobe know we want this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any movement on this functionality on Macs? I am trying to convert files from Word for Mac v. 16.52 with a Microsoft Office 365 license to Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. The brand fonts that I need to preserve are Apertura and Futura PT (Both available in my Adobe Creative Suite.) After countless hours, I still haven't found a solution. Any ideas out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the response dated Feb 11 20211 from defaulth2, and the string below that post. That method worked for me and i am now able to pdf word doc on macbook with fonts and hyperlinks preserved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the hyperlink issue, if you have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC you can use that app as a work-around for the broken hyperlink export from Word.

1. Select File > Create > PDF from File.
  2. Then select the word doc.
  3. The pdf created will have clickable hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat Pro DC, but the problem with using that approach or the Word plugin is that our installed fonts are replaced by substituted ones.  That, as it turns out is a bug, which supposedly is getting looked at.  But we've had some other issues with that approach, such as Noteref fields being treated like new footnotes (which screws up the footnote symbol sequencing).

The best solution for us would be if Adobe added the ability to keep bookmarks and hyperlinks in the Mac version of Distiller -- just as the PC version does -- but since that's a feature request, we need other Mac users to show an interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this on a couple of different word files and got the following error.

Acrobat could not open 'Becca Letter.docx' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

To create an Adobe PDF document, go to the source application. Then print the document to Adobe PDF.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this just uploads the word file into the cloud (why?!) and then the hyperlinks in the online created PDF (data breach!) still don't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to still be an issue a year later... you have to either pick having fonts download OR hyperlinks - they don't work together. When will this be fixed or are there any workarounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not without significant changes in the architecture of Microsoft Office for Mac…

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming they still have not made those changes. Has it improved at all in Office 365?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's already 2018 and still Adobe doesn't have an answer for this? How do we resolve this for mac users? I usually do tv program decks for a tv network and we attach hyperlinks for the tv trailers on our pdfs that we send to our sales clients. Hope we can do something about this. Hope Adobe and Microsoft can look into this problem. It's been years and I still see this problem on mac users. Please... 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is August 6, 2020.

I am working on a project for a client that requires I use a specific font (Mrs. Eaves font deck -- which is listed in Adobe Fonts) <<and>> I have created a linkable TOC. I am working with Word for Mac (V16.39) on a Macbook Pro. I am able to either retain the font <<or>> the linkable TOC <<but>> not both. I've tried utilizing create PDF and print to PDF and export to PDF options, though I get the same results -- font <<or>> TOC links are retained <<but>> not both.

I've tried working with Adobe but they keep directing me to help pages for Word for PC issues. I just found this thread today. Has anyone figured out how to make this work? I know my client is losing faith in me. I really don't need my reputation ruined because of this. Please help! I need a workable solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is 2021 and this is still an issue. It has driven me mad. The solution I have found rom testing every way to create a PDF appears to be something to do with the 'Adobe Create PDF cloud service'. The only way to both create a PDF with embedded fonts *and* retain hyperlinks is to disable the 'use Adobe Create cloud service'.

From the Acrobat tab in Word's ribbon click 'create PDF' and then click 'No' to create a PDF without using this service if prompted. If you are not prompted maybe you already agreed to go into the Acrobat 'preferences' option in the Word ribbon and tun on then export without cloud service and then turn off the preference prompt tickbox so you don't get asked each time (if that makes sense).

create PDF.png

Not sure what the 'Create Cloud service' does that is a benefit, but it seems to mess this up and maybe something to do with what fonts are installed locally or installed via Adobe fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG. Thanks for this tip. After hours of yelling at my Mac I was finally able to pdf a word 365 document and preserve both the hyperlinks and the fonts. Thank you thank you thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?!!! I tried followong the instructions but still could not get it to work. What did you do to finally make it work?!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a macbook...In word, on Ribbon, go to Acrobat tab. Then Click Create PDF icon. A window pops up (if you haven't already told it previously to no longer pop up, i.e. preserving your choice for all time) that has a message about using Adobe Cloud Services with 'Yes' as the default. If you click No, then it creates a PDF that embeds your fonts AND includes hyperlinks.  Now, you had previously said "Yes" and clicked the option 'don't ask me again, accept my choice' then I have no idea how you'd reverse that selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´ve been struggling all morning with this issue. I have an large document in Word - with lots of images and a font that did not export to PDF with working links in the table of content. I work on mac. 

I needed to reduce file size after PDF export (was 70 MB). It did not work to "Include fonts in file" in the save-option on Preferences. When i exported PDF for print, it was a large ass file with no links in TOC. When exported for digital use, the font was gone with the wind (just like the logic of Word is). 

So I used the Leslie-Anns reply here, saved the file via the Acrobat-ribbon. Pressed "no" and saved as the PDF for print. This included the links AND font in the PDF. 

THEN I opened the PDF in Acrobat, and reduced file size here. This kept the links and the font. Hurray! 

Should be better options of how to save word-file as PDF... Or a much better functioning converting if you choose to convert the doc/open in Acrobat from word via the Acrobat ribbon. That function did not work at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This was driving me absolutely crazy. The only other step I had to do (other than your advise above) to embed the font in Word before saving as a PDF. That finally did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE 2022: Since I wrote this answer last year, as some people have commented, I came across the issue again and this solution stopped working, probably due to a Word or Acrobat update. Thie time I followed these instructions to delete the acrobat ribbon from word and delete the 'linkcreation' file â€“ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/remove-adobe-acrobat-ribbon-from-microsoft-wo....

If you delete this file (note MacOS hides the user library by default) and don't let Word access it when you restart Word, then if you go to 'File > Save as PDF > Best for printing' it worked for me. If you try the 'best for electronic distribution' option it will still fail to embed the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines