Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Desktop Icon Black

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WIN 10 64 Pro  Adobe Acrobat Pro DC .20100

Unfortunately, I did receive the most recent windows update.

Problem: The PDF icons on my desktop turn black.

Acrobat is set to shop images in the icons and view as large icons.

When logging in to windows, icons first appear as generic red/white icons, then become images.

At the end of windows login, all Desktop PDF icons snap to black.

Icons show images in all other folders except desktop, as well, images show in Dropbox.

Is there a way to fix this? If it is the update, can it be redacted?

Many thanks

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

The only solution for this problem for me was to install the fix from mr. Davidson.

Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails 

I am using this fix for more than a decade now, because nor Adobe Reader and not to speak of Adobe Acrobat could normally show the pdf thumbnails in Windows after a time. It gets black or white square or whatever that is on the actual "dining menu".

And here I am on Windows 10 Home version 20H2, build 19042.746 and Adobe Acrobat DC 2020.013.20074.
Nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Just adding my 2 cents... despite the fix above ("Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails") being about 10 years old, it works like a charm.

Windows 10 Pro x64 here with no problems until I tried out the 64-bit version of Adobe Acrobat DC. Once the 64-bit version was installed, my pdf icons turned into black boxes. The only way to prevent the black boxes (after trying numerous fixes) was to set Windows to display icons and never previews.

Finally, after messing with this pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you tsmith for confirming that the solution posted by GRAFOP works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

heres the fix for black icons.

1. type in search file explorer options

2. clcik the view tab

3. top entry (on my pc anyway) under files and folders tick "Always show

icons, never thumbnails"

done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else noticed that the black icons only appear on the Windows Main Display?  My 2nd display shows  thumbnails normally, no matter what I do.  (FYI running Windows 11 Home, latest Acrobat Pro ver, and yes, running OneDrive-essential).  I've tried all the fixes reported over the last few days and weeks, and the only one that finally stops the issue is to disable thumbnails.  Question for Adobe - what about the user's Desktop folder is different than any other Windows folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that the previewer in Windows explorer does not work when using Adobe 64-bit PDF products. My solution was to keep the 64-bit product set as the default PDF program and install the free Adobe 32-bit reader and set it for the PDF previewer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines