• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file balloons in size

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book with 22 chapters in Word -- each chapter is a separate file.  They are all about equivalent in terms of text and images and run about 10 MB when stored as docx and about 5 MB when converted to pdf. However, one particular chapter goes from 12 MB as docx to 48 MB in pdf!  What's weirder, is that when the docx is formatted as 8-1/2 x 11 the pdf converts to about 3 MB.  It's only when the chapter is sized as 8x10 that I get this weird bloat, yet none of the other chapters are affected by this.  I am using "Adobe pdf " as the print option in Word.  Interestingly, using "Microsoft to pdf " as the printer doesn't give me this problem -- unfortunately, that driver insists on outputing an 8x10 document as an 8-1/2x11 document, which doesn't work for me.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on or how I can diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Use the Acrobat ribbon instead of those other two options. If the issue persists open the file in Acrobat and try saving it under a new name using File - Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Acrobat ribbon instead of those other two options. If the issue persists open the file in Acrobat and try saving it under a new name using File - Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, so I installed Acrobat into the Word ribbon and ran it and... it solved the problem!  File size went from 48MB to 2MB.  Not sure why that worked, but thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines