Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file size increasing for some files and not others

New Here ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I all,

I am creating a PDF from Corel Draw - File>Print>Adobe PDF and I get a nice small file size of 181kb. I open that PDF in Acrobat DC and Prepare Form (no fields detected - because there are none). I continue and add my fields where I require them (12 fields, fonts mainly Times New Roman with a couple of other fonts which are True Type Outlines). When I go and save my PDF file it jumps to 3,346kb in size. I created a different file the other night that went from 176kb up to 560kb using the same fonts but 24 fields.

I even copied the 24 fields from the smaller file and pasted it into the other one and still ends up bigger.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bianca

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are reporting is not at all unexpected. There are at least two issues here:

(1)     When you “save” you should always use “save as” instead of “save.” The simple save function simply extends your existing PDF file with a copy of the modified page(s) almost guaranteeing a significant file size increase.

(2)     When you create form fields, Acrobat must embed the fonts used for the form fields into the PDF file itself such that the recipient of the PDF file can properly fill out the forms. In the case of the Times New Roman, the font size is 1.05MB. If you used all four faces of Times New Roman (i.e. regular, italic, bold, and bold italic), you would be adding over 3MB to the file size. (This font family is so big because it supports the characters of many alphabets including Latin languages, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic!)

If you don't need all the characters of the Times New Roman family, smaller fonts will yield much smaller PDF files.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Thanks for the response. I did read this in one of the other threads.

Sorry I should have expanded on the point of the other file that didn't increase as much. The issue that I can't figure out is why with a file that is set up as 7" wide by 5" high (landscape) went from 176kb to 560kb but the file set up to be 5" wide by 7" high (portrait) went from 181kb to 3,346kb and both files use the same fonts.

On a side note I did notice an oddity. If I create 2 files using the File>Print (using Adobe's PDF driver) method, 1 file that is portrait and 1 file that is landscape I can't copy the text field from one to the other because it rotates it 90 degrees in the other file. But, if I create those two files using Corel's 'Publish to PDF' I can copy those text fields between both files without them rotating.

Thanks

Bianca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an 8-page PDF fillable document with a file size of 28,998 KB.  I can't email it or upload it because of how huge it is.  When I perform the Audit space usage, it says that the font is 99% of the file size.  The primary font in the original Word document was Calibri and converted into a PDF fillable as such.  How do I choose a "smaller" font and is it possible for me to edit or convert the PDF fillable without going all the way back to the original Word document and starting all over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have an 8-page PDF fillable document with a file size of 28,998 KB. I can't email it or upload it because of how huge it is. When I perform the Audit space usage, it says that the font is 99% of the file size. The primary font in the original Word document was Calibri and converted into a PDF fillable as such. How do I choose a "smaller" font and is it possible for me to edit or convert the PDF fillable without going all the way back to the original Word document and starting all over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines