• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file will not open in Acrobat but will open in Chrome

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been creating a lot of pdf files through a scanner.  Each document has been scanned in an identical way and saved as a searchable pdf.  When I try to open them using the Acrobat reader or acrobat editor, around 70% will not open - double clicking simply brings up a white screen and then Adobe closes.  No error message, the programme simply closes.  BUT if I open them in Chrome, they open fine.  I then try to save (download) them as a pdf and again, they will not open and simply crash Adobe.  I've done lots of scans before and have never experienced this fault.  And it has been occuring randomly today - of 51 documents scanned in an identical way, 16 will open fine and the other 35 cause Adobe to crash!

I tried rescanning one document and saving it as an image only pdf file and then ran text recognition on it and it worked fine (albeit with a file more than twice the size - an issue when I'm doing hundreds of these).

I've attached a sample file.

Any ideas please?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using to perform the scan-to-PDF?  If you have Acrobat PRO, have you tried to scan from Acrobat?  Any more details you can provide might prove handy in troubleshooting your issue.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, thanks.

My scanner software is Abbyy FineReader 12 Sprint.

I'm trying to open the files in Adobe Acrobat XI v 11.0.23.

What is bizarre is that all the files were created in the same way, some will open without any problems and yet others won't.  I've never experienced this before, and there is no error message - Acrobat simply closes after a few seconds of trying to open a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm.  Without knowing that software, I can only recommend some general thoughts.  Ensure you have the latest version of the scanning software, as perhaps something else was updated in your system, and now some functionality of 'Abbyy' has been affected.  In the worst case scenario (*sort of), you may want to consider a different scanning solution.  Adobe Acrobat Pro DC scans beautifully for me, and there won't be any conflicts with opening in Adobe Reader/Acrobat, theoretically.  Another to explore might be to take a 'problematic' scan PDF and try to open it in a newer version of Acrobat or Reader.  You never know.  Acrobat Xi isn't ancient... but it's not current, and technology marches forward, often times leaving old apps less functional or useful.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dave.  Seems like the issue is with Acrobat Xi but at least I've established that other people can open them to read, it's just that I can't open them to edit.

Thank you anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file you provided opened successfully in both Chrome and Acrobat Pro DC on my computer, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines