• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF form not allowing me to add signature field.

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf form that I am creating and it will not allow me to add a signature field. It pops up with "the author of this form has specified the fields which you can fill.  Click on any field to stat filling form."

I have created these forms before and added signatures with no problem.  This form already has a signature block but I need to add a second one, which I have done before.  Any help is appreciated.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

I was pulling my hair out over this but then figured out you can use digital ID to sign documents without author allocated space in a document:

First watch this video:

How to Create a Digital Signature in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - YouTube

Then:

1. Open the pdf document in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
2. Navigate to Tools > Certificates
3. Select ‘digitally sign’.
4. Drag box in the area you wish to sign; Note: it will automatically fill the entire box so make it large enough.
5. Select your signature.
6. E

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you figure out how to solve this issue. I have the same error and stucked on simple signature. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else who has the same issue, You need to open the PDF Document, click on Print/ select print as PDF. Save as new pdf document. Now if you open the new doc, it would permit you to sign your document. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sue2019CalCa - holy crap - THANK YOU.  What an absolutely convoluted method to sign a pdf form.

Adobe will have to really up their game if they want me to purchase their products.  What an abysmal interface/UI/error reporting mechanism.

This utter fiasco took me over an hour to complete.  One hour.  To sign a form.  With a single signature.

So happy I found your answer.  I couldn't find it anywhere on Adobe Acrobat Reader DC support page.

Again - thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat can add a signature field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue, i have the same issue but saving it under different name and reopening still does not allow me to sign. I keep getting the message "The author of this form has specified the fields which you can fill. Click on any field to start filling the form." When I click OK to close the message and click on the Sign inkpen icon on top, it won't let me sign and the same msg pops up. Also if I click on Print I don't have the option to save as PDF - I guess because it is already a pdf. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, dolf12345 -

I think Sue is not saying to "save" it under a different name, but rather to click File > Print, and then instead of your printer's name/ID make sure you select "Adobe PDF".  When you click the next Print button, this will prompt you to enter a file name.  Enter a new file name and then click Save.  This will actually create a *new* .PDF document, not merely save the existing one under a new name.  The reason why this allows you to add another digital signature is that the newly-created .PDF document will contain an image of the 1st digital signature -- but Adobe considers that image an image, *not* a digital signature.  So, you may fill out the document as you like and then add a 2nd digital signature.  Yes, this is a laborious work-around.  I am only just now learning how Adobe works myself.  HTH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, if you are the one creating the form, it's easier to just create a "fillable" form right at the beginning.  If you are expecting 2 or 3 or 10 signatures, you can create signature fields - and that way Adobe will know to expect that number of signatures.  This may be less secure from a legal perspective, but if you don't need absolute air-tight legal security, it's a heck of a lot easier.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only work around I know.  Where this often happens is if you send this file as a non-filable form and it requires more than one signature.  If the person first signing it, signs it digitally or creates a location to sign it, without creating the additional signing location, you are locked out to changing the document.  So if you are sending documents you should set it up for mulitipe signatures as stated above.  The problem is some of these documents are sent in word or other formats and the second someone signs it digitally by making it a PDF, you locked out.  There should be a way to save a document as PDF but checkbox, do not make it a "digital" signature document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you spfeiffe! When I follow the steps you recommend, Adobe shows a popup saying it does not support this feature:save as while printing not supported.png

I did not create this document; I am trying to sign it using Adobe Reader and finding out the author has predefined fields for me to sign, but that those fields somehow do not allow me to sign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... do you have access to the program "Adobe Acrobat"?  That's different from Adobe Reader and may have the functionality you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I am in the same boat as you. My document is a police record check. But it doesnt let me digitally sign. It says the author has pre-defined fields. Is there a way around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jasonbradley2009 - 

If you have Adobe Acrobat (not just Adobe Reader), then yes.  Are you the only person who needs to sign the police record check?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I am in the process of downloading adobe acrobat. How can I sign this pdf ? It just says the author has pre-defined fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to create a new PDF file which is fillable.  One of the fields you can add to your new fillable PDF is a signature-field.  This will get you started:

https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/how-to/create-fillable-pdf-forms-creator.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and it's driving me crazy.  Making the form fillable isn't the issue and doesn't work.  I created the pdf, sent it to our licensee, they returned it with their signature for us to counter-sign but it seems locked.  I can't validate their signature or trust it and I can't sign it.  I'm on a Mac so I can't do the 'print a pdf' work around.  I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2020.006.20042

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just dealing with this same issue, and I found a workaround using photoshop:

First, export your pdf as a jpg file (File > Export To > Image > JPEG). Then open the JPEG with Photoshop and save it as a PDF (File > Save As, then change the format to Photoshop PDF). Now you should be able to open this file with Acrobat and add signatures. However, all "fillable" fields in the original document will no longer be "fillable".

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did help - THANK YOU!  I didn't have to do the Photoshop part.  I just saved the pdf as a jpg, then opened the jpg and saved it as a pdf.  Only drawback is that my documents are multiple pages, so I get multiple jpgs if I have multiple pages that need signatures.  At least I can get these done now.  Adobe still needs to figure out the issue of not being able to validate, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Halleluja it works! Also not seeing this solution in a program that is used for exactly this process of signing forms is really bad for bloodpressure, I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have really helped me a lot with the advice. otherwise i would had to talk to my hater for asking help 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a clever solution! Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU so much 🙂

it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What???? i dont have any option that says Print as PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was pulling my hair out over this but then figured out you can use digital ID to sign documents without author allocated space in a document:

First watch this video:

How to Create a Digital Signature in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - YouTube

Then:

1. Open the pdf document in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
2. Navigate to Tools > Certificates
3. Select ‘digitally sign’.
4. Drag box in the area you wish to sign; Note: it will automatically fill the entire box so make it large enough.
5. Select your signature.
6. Enter the password you provided when creating your signature.
7. Save document.

You now have a securely signed document and all the other signatures remain valid, unlike the print to PDF function and it should work with free version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS RIGHT HERE!!! You have just saved me hours of pulling out my hair!!! This needs to be shared all over the internet. This is at least the third or fourth time I've had the problem and googled for an answer and could not get it to work. You have made my year!!! LOL THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! We are working remotely and I have to digitally sign a lot of documents every month for my team and this seriously made me SO happy!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines