Highlighted

PDF form with dynamic chart or movable page element

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to create a PDF form in which users can enter a value and have it shown visually on this chart. (Chart.pdf)

From the casual research I've done so far, it seems dynamic charts don't exist in the world of PDFs, but I was hoping there might be some sort of clunky workaround.

Really all that would need to happen is two lines be moved vertically or horizontally depending on the values the user inputs in the form fields. You can see in the illustration I've attached, titled "Example.pdf" if the user values were 1 and 1 (1 being relative to Earths radius/mass) then the lines would illustrate that accordingly. 

Is there any way to achieve this kind of data visualization inside a PDF?

Topics

How to, PDF forms, Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF form with dynamic chart or movable page element

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to create a PDF form in which users can enter a value and have it shown visually on this chart. (Chart.pdf)

From the casual research I've done so far, it seems dynamic charts don't exist in the world of PDFs, but I was hoping there might be some sort of clunky workaround.

Really all that would need to happen is two lines be moved vertically or horizontally depending on the values the user inputs in the form fields. You can see in the illustration I've attached, titled "Example.pdf" if the user values were 1 and 1 (1 being relative to Earths radius/mass) then the lines would illustrate that accordingly. 

Is there any way to achieve this kind of data visualization inside a PDF?

Topics

How to, PDF forms, Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the lines were straight then it would have been possible to do it using a script, but with those kinds of lines that would be extremely complicated. I'm afraid that what you're asking for goes beyond the capabilities of PDF files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that might be the case, so I emotionally prepared myself to be told such. Thanks for your response! 

Edit: Also, if I may trouble you, Javascript seems a bit overwhelming. Do you have any helpful resources you'd recommend for someone starting out meddling with Javascript for PDFs? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All browsers natively support HTML, CSS and JavaScript code.  Web based interactive forms are most likely what you want for this. 

This shows how to create a visual report with Jot Forms (3rd party service).

https://www.jotform.com/help/187-How-to-Create-a-Visual-Report-with-Your-Form-Submissions

This one uses Google sheets with Google forms.

https://shift.newco.co/2016/11/14/how-to-create-a-dynamic-chart-in-google-sheets-using-google-forms/

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF