• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF locked by password, password unknown

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm hoping someone here can provide assistance.  I am using Acrobat Pro 2017 for Mac.  I created a PDF and subsequently merged a couple more pdfs to create one document.  About two months ago, we were hit by ransomware that managed to sneak into our network.  Fortunately, the virus was terminated before it completed its work.  However, many files were encrypted or otherwise corrupted.  We were able to restore almost all from backups.  I mention this because the virus specifically targeted PDF files (as well as some other types).  The file in question is locked via password, but the convention for passwords is not recognized by Acrobat security.  I have attempted to enter what is supposed to be the password for both document password and permissions password.  Any guidance for somehow removing password protection would be greatly appreciated.  Am attaching screen shots of the properties dialog boxes.Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 4.14.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 4.15.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 4.15.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 4.16.22 PM.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Davidt

We are sorry for the trouble. As described the passowrd to the PDF file is not known and you want to remove the password from the file.

Sadly, there isn't much that can be done to remove the security without knowing the password used. For more information refer to the help article Securing PDFs with passwords, Adobe Acrobat . Please try to recreate the PDF file again from the original source file.

Hope it will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Davidt,

I have found this tool that states it can "strip your password-protected PDF file of its security if no strong encryption exist".

URL to non-Adobe, non-verified security stripping program removed by Administrator

I haven't used it myself. If you do try it, post if it worked for you.

Edited by Administrator to remove URL to potentially problematic non-Adobe software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines