Highlighted

PDF not opening after update to latest Acrobat Reader DC May 29 2020

New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to the latest Acrobat Reader DC last week. Now PDF files won't open, though the program does. I can preview a PDF but I cannot open it; the program freezes then goes off. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, repairing. Nothing works. In Acrobat Reader I cannot go to Preferences. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1909. I use Acrobat Reader a lot, last used it on 26 May 2020 to make comments in a PDF.

Please help

Topics

Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF not opening after update to latest Acrobat Reader DC May 29 2020

New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to the latest Acrobat Reader DC last week. Now PDF files won't open, though the program does. I can preview a PDF but I cannot open it; the program freezes then goes off. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, repairing. Nothing works. In Acrobat Reader I cannot go to Preferences. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1909. I use Acrobat Reader a lot, last used it on 26 May 2020 to make comments in a PDF.

Please help

Topics

Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry for the trouble and the delay in response. I hope you would be able to fix it by now.

If the issue still exists, please try to repair the installation (For Windows Only) Go to Help > Repair Installation and see if that helps.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different file and check.

Do you get any error message while opening the PDF files? If yes, please share the screenshot of the same for better understanding.

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights and try using the application there and see if that works for.

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, except Reader won't even open.   I've repaired it, and that didn't help.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Amal.

I have tried all those options. None works. Acrobat Reader/Pro both open, I can preview files, I can repair/update installation, but as soon as I try to open a file, it says "not responding" and goes off without any other message. I want to uninstall the current version 2020 and install an older version. My computer shows no conflicts.

Any other suggestion?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Amal. LATEST
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to keep you waiting.

Please try to turn off the protected mode for testing. Go to Edit (Windows), Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC (Mac) > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Turn off the protected Mode and uncheck the enhanced security > Click OK

Note: Please turn on the security after testing.

If it still doesn't work

1. Remove the application using the acrobat Cleaner Tool  https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html
  2. Reboot the computer
  3. Reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/acrobat-downloads.html

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF