• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF patters not printing to scale (varies by computer with same settings)

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife has been printing sewing patters for years on an old desktop running Reader XI. No problems getting them to print to the proper scale by setting to "Actual Size." We just got a new desktop and installed Reader DC. Same patterns, same networked printer (Brother laser), same "Actual Size" setting and they no longer print accurately. They're close, but that's nowhere near good enough for sewing patterns. Stranger still, using a different laptop (also fully updated Win10 and fresh Reader DC to match the new desktop), some PDFs print correctly and others are just that little bit off.

I tried removing Reader DC and installing an older XI, but that crashes without fail moments after a PDF is opened (no idea why).

All versions of Win10 are fully up to date, the printer drivers are updated. 

Anyone have an idea as to what might be going on? I'm at a loss for anything else to try. Thanks!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Make sure that in your print dialog box, it's set to Actual Size. It's not the default, but it is sticky, so once you set it on the new computer, it should stay that way.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 3.11.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Okay, after yet another round of banging head against wall, I finally figured it out. I was able to get the pattern to print to scale when I used Adobe Reader DC, but my wife's account on the same new computer was still getting the small prints. We verified a dozen times over that the settings were all the same. Then I noticed the printer itself was listed differently. On my account it was listed as Brother MFC-9130CW Printer; on the other it lacked the word "Printer" but was otherwise the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that in your print dialog box, it's set to Actual Size. It's not the default, but it is sticky, so once you set it on the new computer, it should stay that way.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 3.11.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that was the first thing we did (from experience). Still not printing to the correct size, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screeshot of your print dialog box?

How much off are the patterns printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. I've attached a screen shot of the print settings used as well as pictures of the printed output from the same pattern off the old desktop (with Adobe XI) and new (with Adobe DC). Both were printed back to back off the same printer. The new print is off by about 2mm out of 40mm, so about 5% too small. It seems to be inconsistent with how far off it is between various pattern files, as well - these being tried and true previously used patterns.

Thanks!

print setting dialog (new computer)print setting dialog (new computer)new output print with rulernew output print with rulerold output print with rulerold output print with ruler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, after yet another round of banging head against wall, I finally figured it out. I was able to get the pattern to print to scale when I used Adobe Reader DC, but my wife's account on the same new computer was still getting the small prints. We verified a dozen times over that the settings were all the same. Then I noticed the printer itself was listed differently. On my account it was listed as Brother MFC-9130CW Printer; on the other it lacked the word "Printer" but was otherwise the same. No idea how or where this "other" version of the printer came to be, but once we changed the selected printer it worked fine.

Don't know if this will ever help anyone else, but there you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am a sewer too and was having the same problem as your wife.  I saw your post and noticed my printer didn't say "printer" either so I decided to remove my printer and reinstall it again. Now it's printing my patterns the correct size.  Crazy!!!  Thank you for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines