• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Protection

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can someone advise me the best way of protecting PDF form fields but where it will request a password to be able to edit the fields.  basically I have a Gift Voucher card I have desigend for a client with editable fields for name and type of voucher etc and I want my client to be able to insert the names of HER customers in the fields but for it to ask HER for a password before she can actually edit it, that way I know HER customers cant edit the voucher without the correct passoword but she can edit it to be able to change the details to send out to her customers.   I have managed to protect the PDF easily enough but once its protected I want it to actually ask me for the passowrd to be able to edit it if that makes sense!  I have trawled through so many forums and cant find the answer! Thank you in advance 🙂 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Forget it. You can set security options but they can be removed in seconds. Plus, any voucher can be faked in seconds. If you send out a voucher, you can also expect someone to share it on one of the many global sites devoted to voucher sharing. Which may well be fine, so long as you have T&C and aren't running at a loss with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget it. You can set security options but they can be removed in seconds. Plus, any voucher can be faked in seconds. If you send out a voucher, you can also expect someone to share it on one of the many global sites devoted to voucher sharing. Which may well be fine, so long as you have T&C and aren't running at a loss with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As TSN said, protecting the file is not the solution. You need to add a unique identifier to each voucher (preferably a random one, not 0001, 0002, etc.) and maintain a database of those codes that have been used. That's the only way to prevent multiple uses of the same voucher by different people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  So putting the possible way of creating fakes aside are you saying it can't physically be done where field boxes when clicked require a password in order to update them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible, using a script, but it's very insecure.

You can do it using a custom validation script, like this:

if (event.value) event.rc = (app.response("Enter the password to edit this field:", "", "")=="1234");

In this case the password is "1234". As you can see, it's saved as plain-text in the script. Also, the user can simply disable JS and enter a value as they please... It's up to you to decide whether or not that's secure enough for your purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I totally get what you mean regarding the security.  I am very impressed with your knowledge and appreciate the time to reply and help

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines