• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF to Word conversion turning headings into headers

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to convert my pdf to a Word docx, it takes all the headings (which consist of the 365 days of the year in consecutive order) and converts the majority of them to Headers in Word. Roughly 40 of them remain as normal text. Any thoughts on what is going on here? I have tried switching between the flowing text setting and retain formatting in Acrobat Pro DC: retain formatting prevents my headings from turning into Headers, but it puts some of my body text into a text box which creates another problem. (I need to apply a style heading to all my heading dates so they show up in the navigation pane in Word. I don't want that style applied to the body text that is tagging along, thanks to the conversion. And I'm trying to find a way around a manual fix, because...365 of them).  The pdf came from Indesign, if that makes any difference, and I can make any necessary changes there as well.

Grateful for any help. 

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

I came up with a work-around. Selected all text in Indesign and exported as rtf. Then I opened the rtf in Word. Lost my pagebreaks, but simple to automate that task compared to fixing the other problems. For any other users, I'd recommend avoiding dealing with a pdf if your doc formatting is simple. I was not dealing with any images or objects, just text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case it wasn't clear, the retain formatting setting is putting the first line of my body text into a text box with my headings so that they are linked together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I came up with a work-around. Selected all text in Indesign and exported as rtf. Then I opened the rtf in Word. Lost my pagebreaks, but simple to automate that task compared to fixing the other problems. For any other users, I'd recommend avoiding dealing with a pdf if your doc formatting is simple. I was not dealing with any images or objects, just text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines