• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pdf with popup numbers related to colour code

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We developed a map with 25 million pixels, each representing the snow load on a 50m ×50m square with a different colour in Austria. This map will be published on a web site where the user can specify a location and a popup window shows the snow load. But we also have to produce a pdf file where the user should be able to identify the snow load for a location. The Adobe Acrobat DC tool print production contains a preview window which shows the colour code for the position of the curser. So, it would be possible to link a colour code to a value for the snow load with an additional list which relates colour code to snow load. But this is not user friendly.

Is it possible to create a popup window with the snow load for the curser position in a pdf file? The basis would be a link between colour code and a value of the snow load embedded in the pdf file.

Please take into account that I am a civil engeneer with very limited skills regarding programming if you be so kind to answer. Albert Einstein said, "You have to make things as simple as possible. But not simpler."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking at making things simpler for yourself, I would start by posting this question in the correct Adobe user forum.

This is the user forum for the Adobe Captivate user group.  I think you might be looking for the Adobe Acrobat Forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will move your question to the Acrobat forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply put, PDF files can run JavaScript (if the user opens the file with the right magic, and is not trying to use a phone), but JavaScript cannot in any way get the colours used at a point, or in an image. I don't see that PDF is suitable for your task.  I think the phone point is particularly crucial. People don't take their laptops up a mountain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The snow load is used by civil engineers to design the roof structure and they use laptops or working stations but phones are unusual. If JavaScript cannot use the colour, is it possible to use the position of the curser on the pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it's not that simple. It depends on the screen resolution, zoom level, window size, etc.

Programming it is going to be an enormous task. Alternatively, it would involve creating a field for each pixel in your file, which is very likely to make the file unstable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think a PDF will fly for this. You need software to be developed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share that PDF file so we can see how it looks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines