Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDFs created with AutoCAD crashes Acrobat Pro DC on OsX

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

has anyone encountered similar problem; When I create a PDF with Autocad, which has many lines (let's say, 1:100 scale plan of a hotel) it is super slow to open and usually I have to Force Quit Acrobat. I am running latest OsX on latest MacBook Pro so it should not be a hardware issue. I have had this problem for a while already. That's why I am using another PDF softwares with big PDFs with many lines.

Has anyone solution for this problem?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

I'm not sure if this works for Windows, but on Mac I'm having success by unchecking Preferences / Accessibility / Enable assistive technology support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nikor,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, Acrobat Pro DC is crashing when opening PDF files created from AutoCAD, Is that correct?

What is the dot version of Acrobat installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after installing the updates and see if this brings any difference.

Also, refer to the following Adobe discussions which discuss a similar issue PDF from Autodesk Revit

Autocad PDF creation problem

Also, help us with few pieces of information so that we can assist you in a better manner:

• What is the dot version of the MAC operating system installed?
  • Is it specific to one PDF file or with all the PDF files?
  • If it is specific to one PDF file, Is it possible to share the PDF file with us so that we can test it at our end? To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

[edited response]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand Sri,

My Acrobat is 2018.011.20040 and OS X 10.13.4. So both should be up to date. There are no updates available.

The problem happens on many files, usually the ones created with AutoCAD or similar program. When there are many lines, seems it causes troubles.

Best regards, Niko

Niko Räsänen

[ Mod: Personal information and email signature removed ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say it crashes. Does it also crash, or do you just mean it's slow? You say you "have to" force quit? Have you left it overnight etc. or do you just mean it's longer than a few minutes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Test_Screen_Name

I have the same issue with adobe acrobat 2017 (32 bit) on win 10 (64 bit). All PDFs files that only have to contain a page converted from Autocad stalls the system with message "....(not responding)". It is render "practically" unusable it stalls you allow to settle down usually around 1-2 minute then try to scroll past the page and it stalls again (whether in the page thumbnail window or the slider on the right  or the mouse scroll button).

Also the program doesnt recognise word, excel, and all office software (2016 version) when selected to combine files, i must pdf each file individually first and then combine into binder. I have an old program of visio and it recongises this program when selected for combine files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

accidently pushed this out before completion.... There is more if I attempt to change the window size or move the window it freezes, if I open a second file that hapens to have an autocad generated PDF forget it I essentially have to force quit the program.

The only solution i have is to print the page with "print to PDF" function on my printer. Even the "microsoft print to PDF " function doesn't produce a useable file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any resolution to this issue?  I use Revit and AutoCad on a Windows 10 system.  I have the latest Acrobat Pro with all updates.  For months Acrobat Pro DC has been freezing or barely progressing through opening a file produced with Autodesk products.  This includes all files received from consultants.  

Pro DC is pretty much useless for this work.  

Has any work been done on this?  Im not getting any value from my subscription at present. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at a tech company and our client has this issue and the funny thing is this only happens on 2 of their computers. All of the computers are W10 Pro,16GB Ram, I7 Cpu's, Adobe Acrobat Pro fully updated. I have tried almost everything possible. Updating graphics drivers, rolling back graphics driver. Updating BIOS, windows updates. Every other computer that opens large AutoCAD files works fine. When you try to open on 2 of the 10 computers after scrolling for a couple of minutes the whole window freezes up and you have to force quit. When I contact adobe through chat they are absolutely useless and tell me to "repair" the file and try simple troubleshooting steps that we have obviously tried already.

They are getting super frustrated because from a buisness standpoint it is absolutely unacceptable for the program you are paying for cause this much grief.

Adobe if you are reading this. DO SOMETHING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this works for Windows, but on Mac I'm having success by unchecking Preferences / Accessibility / Enable assistive technology support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I can confirm that it works on Windows, at least for the issue I was having. Acrobat was completely unusable and now it's running smoothly again. I hope this helps others struggling with the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't quite fix it - might work a bit better. But Autocad converted PDF's still lock up

I have similar specs to above post (16GB Ram,  I7, W10 Enterprise)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this hasn't worked for me either, getting very annoying as the print to pdf I'm using just doesn't have the same quality.. Are there any softwares anyone could suggest? (Similar specs to post).. Not sure if its adobe's or AutoCAD's problem either, for me adobe just stops responding and takes about 20 minutes to open the file. Seriously need this fixed ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your a genius! I've suffered this for years (WIN10)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Thank you!  travisb10426269  - you are a star!  This worked for me, on a large CAD to PDFs on Mac.  Event since the silly Adobe people dumped Acrobat Pro I've been battling.  Sanity restored 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ahve struggled with this issue also - it seems to be because of the comments which are embedded within the PDF - particularly if created from AutoCAD as every single text is classed as a 'comment' meaning there can be 1000's of comments in the PDF which your computer is trying to process / display when you open the file.

SOLUTION: Open Adobe (without any document open) - Edit --> Preferences --> Commenting --> Uncheck all options for 'Viewing Comments' and 'Pop-Up Open Behaviour' (note: 'Making Comments' options can be left as they are).

Now Adobe shouldn't freeze for just viewing a simple PDF.

Very annoying though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that is annoying problem. In AutoCAD system variable PDFSHX is default 1, which makes all texts as comments. When you turn that variable 0, there would be no comments in PDF and it is much smoother. However, I am still encountering problems with many PDFs with performance and freezing issues, even with PDFs created by Adobe's own programs (InDesign, Illustrator, etc). It amazing how they can do good programs to create PDFs but none to read them. I have switched to PDF xChange on Windows and PDF Expert on mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines