• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDFs that can be edited by client

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who wants a document template (15 or so pages) done in Acrobat that can be edited by them. I did the overall design and text in InDesign 2020, output it as a PDF and sent that to them. On their end they open it in Acrobat (full version) and highlight the placeholder text and type in their updated text for the latest proposal. Seemed easy but...sometimes the fonts default and sometimes they are fine. We are all using the same fonts (Avenir LT Pro 35 light, Avenir LT Pro 45 book, Avenir LT Pro 55 roman, Avenir LT Pro 65 medium) . Sometimes the font window goes wonkey or breaks into multiple text boxes and overlaps or distorts. They are PC and I am Mac. They don't use InDesign (they are not designers) and originally wanted it done in Word...but that also had issues with the design and text on their end. When researching this methond I was told it was fine if they were PC and I am Mac. So what are we doing that is causing problems? Is this not possible to use Acrobat this way? We are all using  2020 versions of Acrobat.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

In the PDF you should place editable texts in form fields, with the RTF option enabled.

This works fine (unlike Acrobat's edit tools, not made for this purpose).

In this form made with InDesign and converted to PDF, all blue areas are editable text fields (using a corporate font) or (import) image fields. Customers are very satisfied:

gvvar8EkGi.png

evleUMSlx3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not a editor like InDesign or Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am aware of that. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people want to split work in this way, between two people who want to use different apps for their part of the work. Often PDF is seen as a kind of bridge. Sorry, no. This is doomed, disastrously so.
"When researching this methond I was told it was fine if they were PC and I am Mac. " Someone told you nonsense. Can you edit? Yes. Can you create a reliable workflow that satisfies you both? Not a chance.

Find an app you can BOTH work in, probably Microsoft Word and deliver your designs in that format, though if it is page layout based maybe MS Publisher. Solve the issues in that app - there will be many but they are probably solvable. Mainly it will be document reflow, both of you need to work within the constraints of Word's love of reflowing text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand. I advised against it ...But it was a client request so I had to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the PDF you should place editable texts in form fields, with the RTF option enabled.

This works fine (unlike Acrobat's edit tools, not made for this purpose).

In this form made with InDesign and converted to PDF, all blue areas are editable text fields (using a corporate font) or (import) image fields. Customers are very satisfied:

gvvar8EkGi.png

evleUMSlx3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU so much JR. I will learn about this and try it out. I truely appreciate this advise and update how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again JR -- I've been playing around with the form fields and I wanted to ask a few questions. 1) I want to confirm that if there is any text formatting difference then the text has to be in it's own text box so if a word needs to be bolded or italicized within a paragraph (like a title), it is not possible. Same with formatting a word in a different color. I think the answer is 'no' but hoping you might know a work around. 2) I 'export' the file as an "Interactive PDF"... but you mention to select "RTF enabled" option...where do I find that option?

I think your form field method would work except... my client has italics and bolded text within paragraphs making it a stumbling block. This a proposal template that uses the name of thier product throughout the documents. Sigh, lol

Thanks in advance for any insights 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again JR -- I've been playing around with the form fields and I wanted to ask a few questions. 1) I want to confirm that if there is any text formatting difference then the text has to be in it's own text box so if a word needs to be bolded or italicized within a paragraph (like a title), it is not possible. Same with formatting a word in a different color. I think the answer is 'no' but hoping you might know a work around. 2) I 'export' the file as an "Interactive PDF"... but you mention to select "RTF enabled" option...where do I find that option?

I think your form field method would work except... my client has italics and bolded text within paragraphs making it a stumbling block. This a proposal template that uses the name of thier product throughout the documents. Sigh, lol

Thanks in advance for any insights 🙂

(oops, I posted this first under my comment so...reposted under yours.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the sample field in this PDF: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:f7b4d42e-c692-40ce-b088-dcbae895b470

You need Acrobat Pro, not InDesign:

Form maker side:

RTF1.png

User side, Paragraph options are under the "More…" button:

RTF2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That WORKED!

JR Boulay is my "favorite person of the day" ( nice that it rhymes too)

All fun aside, thank you so much and my client thanks you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines