Highlighted

Period at end of hyperlink

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a url at the end of a paragraph of a document created in InDesign. There are several urls throughout the document but after exporting to an interactive PDF only 2 are having issues. Both url's are at the end of a paragraph ended with a period. The hyperlink is correct within InDesign and Acrobat, in that they do not include the period at the end of the paragraph. However, when you click on the link it is adding the period to the url causing the link not to open correctly. There are several other urls throughout the document that are setup the same way and they work fine by not including that period. Below is one paragraph I am refering to. TIA

For more information on cancer screening, consult the Program fact sheets at
 www.cdc.gov/wtc/cancerfactsheets.html.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Period at end of hyperlink

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a url at the end of a paragraph of a document created in InDesign. There are several urls throughout the document but after exporting to an interactive PDF only 2 are having issues. Both url's are at the end of a paragraph ended with a period. The hyperlink is correct within InDesign and Acrobat, in that they do not include the period at the end of the paragraph. However, when you click on the link it is adding the period to the url causing the link not to open correctly. There are several other urls throughout the document that are setup the same way and they work fine by not including that period. Below is one paragraph I am refering to. TIA

For more information on cancer screening, consult the Program fact sheets at
 www.cdc.gov/wtc/cancerfactsheets.html.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 100% confident in saying that there are ways of correcting this with Acrobat JavaScript.

Maybe there is a setting (or perhaps a Unicode mapping, or URI encoding/decoding related bug - in the worst case scenario, for example) that should be investigated first before you try to perform an export to PDF.  If this never happened before but if happening now then disregard what I'm saying.

However, let's assume that this could be URI encoding / decoding bug, have you checked for known issues in the release notes for the last update(s) of your product and confirm if this has been addressed (or mentioned)?

I am suggesting to check on  this because the weblink creation tool in Acrobat was misbehaving a few months ago until it was addressed and fixed  with the DC May 2020 (20.009.20065) update.

So I would say to check that both of your InDesign and Acrobat Pro are updated to their lates versions first. But since you've mentioned about creating this document with InDesign and then exporting  to Acrobat PDF, I have to ask:

Did you posted this same question in the InDesign support forum?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I am 100% confident in saying that there are ways of correcting this with Acrobat JavaScript.

Not in Acrobat. A script can't edit or create an "Open web-link" action. It can only create a an action that executes JavaScript code. Nor can it affect links that are created by the application from plain-text URLs (well, it can remove them, but that's about it).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
ls_rbls LATEST
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying.

I actually did that on purpose to see how you're doing on your JavaScript skills (just messing)  🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the PDF file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...I figured this out yesterday and it had zero to do with the period at the end. This was just some sort of InDesign to Acrobat communication issue. Everything looked good in Acrobat once it was converted. However, when you clicked on the link it would add %0D to the end of the link and so it wouldn't work. If I edit the link via Acrobat, not even changing anything, then resave the document it would work fine. It happened on about 5 links in total.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"%0D" is the escape code for Carriage Return, usually added by pressing Enter (or Ctrl+Enter) at the end of a line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF