• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Phantom Date remaining in calculated dateObject despite clearing and resetting form

Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

placed in dateObject BirthDate custom calc script
var BirthDay = this.getField("CustomerDOB").value
var BirthDayMonth = util.scand("mm/dd/yyyy", BirthDay.slice(0,6));
event.value = util.printd("mm/dd/yyyy", BirthDayMonth);}

When I enter the actual birthdate in CustomerDOB dateObject, it keeps the day and month values but brings the year current, and displays this date value in the BirthDate dateObject. Problem is when I clear form or use the reset button the current date is populated into BirthDate dateObject and this current date remains. I've looked at similar posts and their solutions but nothing seems to work. How do I get rid of it???????? I attached the file so you can see the setup- thanks in advance

TOPICS
How to , JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Yes, because code is not meant for that format

By @Asim123

Yes, and that's exactly the problem with it. You have to take into account things the end-user can do, even if they're not what you intend them to do... As long as they can do it, I can assure you they will do it.

Well if you want to be tehnical use your code and enter 02/29/1980 for example

By @Asim123

That is an extremely narrow issue, and a very unlikely one, but you're right that technically it will produce an incorrect res

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using .valueAsString also has the same result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I realize by not specifying date in CustomerDOB it autopopulates using the system's current date/time settings. Is there a way I can do this? I tried unsuccessively

if (CustomerDOB === "") {event.value = "";}

else if {

var BirthDay = this.getField("CustomerDOB").valueAsString;
event.value = util.printd("mm/dd/yyyy", BirthDayMonth);

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"if (CustomerDOB === "") {event.value = "";}

else if {

var BirthDay = this.getField("CustomerDOB").valueAsString;
event.value = util.printd("mm/dd/yyyy", BirthDayMonth);

}"

This code is obviously incomplete (or wrong) since we don't know how you set CustomerDOB. Also that's not what an if statement looks like. Did you check the console for errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CustomerDOB is user entered with mm/dd/yyyy format selected on the properties' of the dateObject field. All of the dateObject fields are set this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try  this:

var BirthDay = this.getField("CustomerDOB").value;
if(BirthDay == "")
event.value = "";
else {
event.value = util.printd("mm/dd/yyyy", BirthDayMonth);}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Nesa; just wanted to say thank you for your response- it worked! But I also wanted to bring your attention to try67's response regarding the splice comment. Something to keep in mind- thank you Nesa and Be Safe!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your code doesn't make much sense. Please explain what you're trying to achieve, first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

customer enters their birth date in CustomerDOB dateObject field. A custom calculation script in the BirthDate dateObject field splices the month and day of the user-entered date string and combines it with the current year. For example, the user enters 11/02/1967 in the CustomerDOB dateObjectField and 11/02/2021 is calculated as the value and displayed in the BirthDate dateObject field. I then intend to use this 'currrent' BirthDate value in subsequent calculations to obtain values for different periods of time, applying these resultant time periods to determine fees owed by the customer. Everyday in my job I see how language barriers compound the fear factor of dealing with gov. bureaucracy. My goal is to set up a simple user interface that completes all the appropiate gov forms correctly, avoiding confusion and delays for our customers.  Yes, there are still some of us that consider it a privilege to work for the public!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see. Use this script, then:

var BirthDayString = this.getField("CustomerDOB").valueAsString;
if (BirthDayString=="") event.value = ""; 
else {
	var BirthDay = util.scand("mm/dd/yyyy", BirthDayString);
	event.value = util.printd("mm/dd/", BirthDay) + new Date().getFullYear();
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works to reset the dateObject fields, which was my objective; and so does Nesa's solution to bringing the birthdate current, like yours also. Question:

Nesa used .value, and you used .valueAsString. I see you added 'String' to 'BirthDay' in the util.scand line. I remember reading the String () method can be used to get the 'face value of the object'. Can you explain when .value should be used instead of .valueAsString, and confirm whichever is used, the util.scand method must use the similar setup, but the util.printd only uses the .value, never .valueAsString when I'm trying to get a resultant value from a calculation? Thank you try67 for guidance!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer to use valueAsString when reading the value of a field because then I know what kind of object it returns. With the value property you don't know for sure. Could be a string, or a number, or an array or even a boolean. And the name change has nothing to do with the String() constructor. What matters is the change in the property accessed.

I changed your code so that if the DOB is empty the result will be empty too. This is what was causing the error you were having, because scand will return the current date if the string supplied to it is empty.

I also changed your code to not use the splice method since it's not reliable in this case. If the user entered "1/1/1980", for example, instead of "01/01/1980" (which the "mm/dd/yyyy" format allows them to do), your original code would have failed entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

His code won't fail if you enter 1/1 because code is not writed  for that format in the first place,code is writed to include 01/01 so there is nothing wrong with the code if you use it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're wrong. It does produce an error. Here's what happens in the original file when I enter "1/1/1989" into the "CustomerDOB" field:

try67_0-1615135429599.png

The date is formatted to look like "01/01/1989" but the actual value is still "1/1/1989" so the splice method returns an incorrect value, which then returns null when trying to convert it to a Date object with scand, and printd throws an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, because code is not meant for that format, if you change slice(0,4) it will work,It's not for 1/1/1980 format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, because code is not meant for that format

By @Asim123

Yes, and that's exactly the problem with it. You have to take into account things the end-user can do, even if they're not what you intend them to do... As long as they can do it, I can assure you they will do it.

By @Asim123

That is an extremely narrow issue, and a very unlikely one, but you're right that technically it will produce an incorrect result. I've adjusted the script to take care of that, too:

var BirthDayString = this.getField("CustomerDOB").valueAsString;
else {
	BirthDay.setFullYear(new Date().getFullYear());
	event.value = util.printd("mm/dd/yyyy", BirthDay);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea you are right about that, thats why it's best to stick to what OP wants cuz either way you can't use every little thing into account, for example not his and not yours code deals with 29th February correctly, it will just transfer it to March 1st and that is not what OP wanted, although it's very unlikely he will evers use 29th but still it's possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing it to March 1st is the correct way of doing it. If they want it to work differently they will need to specify in what way, but I consider the latest code I posted to provide the correct answer to this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmm that can't be right, OP wants date of birth (mm/dd+current year) so if someone is born on 29th February changing his day of birth to March 1st is NOT correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the correct outcome, in your opinion, in that scenario?

In computing terms, this is correct. It might not be what you'd expect, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what OP wants correct output would be 02/29/2021 from there it all depends how he uses it for future calculations, I'm just saying what OP asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since there's no such date I bet that's not what they want... And if they did, my original script would give them that. Anyway, this discussion has run its course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! so much to consider!! Thank you!!! I'm using your sugggested script and I have modified it for my next calculation that occurs in the AdvancedRenewalPeriodDate dateObject field. I have the following script, but various changes I have incorporated into it have continually produced today's date rather than the BirthDate dateObject value minus 90 days, which is the calculation in the custom calc property for the AdvancedRenewalPeriodDate dateObject field.  I'm confused because the BirthDate dateObject field will always contain a value (the customer's date of birth corrected to the current year) so it should'nt display the default system clock value (today's date). Guidance?

My most promising two attempts:

One attempt:

var BirthDayString = this.getField("BirthDate").valueAsString;
else {
var BirthDay = util.scand("mm/dd/yyyy", BirthDayString);//current year date of birth
var ARP = new Date();
ARP.setDate(BirthDay.getDate() - 90);
var dARP = util.scand("mm/dd/yyyy", ARP);
event.value = util.printd("mm/dd/",dARP) + new Date().getFullYear();
}

another attempt:

var BirthDayString = this.getField("BirthDate").valueAsString;
if (BirthDateString=="") event.value = "";
else {
var ARP = new Date();
ARP.setDate(BirthDay.getDate() - 90);
var dARP = util.scand("mm/dd/yyyy", ARP);
event.value = util.printd("mm/dd/yyyy",dARP);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The phantom date is the result of the calculation at this field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it's populating the system's clock date as default value in the BirthDate dateObject field when nothing is user-entered into the CustomerDOB dateObject field. Thank you Bernd for your response! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines