• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Populate a table based on a specific field value

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone! I am in the process of converting an Excel-based audit tool into an Adobe Form to make it more user-friendly in the field (on an iPad). I have built out a table with various checklist items for the audit, including columns for: Analysis (deficient, in compliance, N/A), Correct-by Date, and Notes.

I need to populate a Deficiencies Table at the end of the form that contains all the data for each checklist item that has been marked "deficient". Is it possible to create a table that will pull all the data from rows in another table based on a specified value ("deficient")? My apologies if this question has been posed before - this is my first foray into Adobe Forms and I was having trouble finding info on this specific question. I would really appreciate any help you could provide! 

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can export the from MS Excel to a delimited data tex file that can be used the PDD to impor or populate the desired data in the form field objects.

As I read before in these forums, this may not be a trivial task. It involves some knowledge in JavaScript and also I think an very important detail, rows and column names for the  cells  of the MS Excel spreadsheet must me the same in thr PDF in order to be able to import data successfully.

I'm not sure if I answered this correctly.

You may reach out to Adobe MVP try67. He may be able to help with this or suggest the appropriate guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be done using a script, but it's not going to work on mobile devices, unless you use PDF Expert by Readdle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the input, that is very helpful! When you say that this feature will not work on mobile devices unless using PDF Expert, do you mean that I must use PDF Expert to write the original script, or that anyone opening this form on an iPad or iPhone must use the PDF Expert app? And any chance you could also point me to some guidance on this particular script so I can try my hand at implementing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latter.

In order to help you with the script I'll need to see the actual file, or at least get a better understanding of how it should work: What are the names of the fields involved, where do the texts to display in the final table should come from, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The "root" function for any kind of form scripting is

this.getField("FieldName");

which returns the field object. The field object is then used to get and set various field properties, such as the field value. 

To move a value from Field A to Field B use this code

this.getField("B").value = this.getField("A").value;

You can read more about field scripting here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/PDF-Form-Scripting.cfm

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines