Exit

Preflight error: The required key /TransformMethod is missing

Contributor ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a PDF with an preflight error (report PDF syntax issues):

"Incorrect value type for this key" and "general file format error"

"The required key /TransformMethod is missing" and "An unexpected value is associated with the key."

But if I look into the PDF there is an /TransformMethod. So what does preflight complain about?Preflight2.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

On the contrary many things can be done.

I see, "Acrobat Distiller"  is a third party product 😉

But the actual problem is not the document creation but the signature creation which was done with PdfBox. PdfBox is an OpenSource project and thus it can be easily addressed there. For that I needed to know where the PDF spec violation was. After a bit of research it turned out that the signature is using an reference dictionary. Since the document itself is PDF 1.4 and the reference dictionary has be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ToM_1st,

These issues are related to file creation.

Since the file is created from the third party source, sadly there is not much that can be done.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the contrary many things can be done.

I see, "Acrobat Distiller"  is a third party product 😉

But the actual problem is not the document creation but the signature creation which was done with PdfBox. PdfBox is an OpenSource project and thus it can be easily addressed there. For that I needed to know where the PDF spec violation was. After a bit of research it turned out that the signature is using an reference dictionary. Since the document itself is PDF 1.4 and the reference dictionary has been added in 1.5 preflight complains about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ToM_1st,

Acrobat Distiller is not third party product, it is the engine of Adobe Acrobat.

Thank you for sharing your findings, I really appreciate this.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Application" meta data information is set to "PDFBox", so that's why Tariq was very likely referring to the 3rd party software. The PDF file you linked to is actually not the one that you've used to create the screen shot.

Regarding the PDFBox introduced problem, you may want to post your findings on the PDFBox "Users" mailing list: Apache PDFBox | Mailing Lists

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It may not be the exact same PDF however the error is exactly the same... So for the problem at hand perfect for analysis...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines