• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preserving line spacing when converting Word to PDF using Acrobat?

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently noticed a problem when printing a PDF document from Word.  The line spacing of the document is changed. The Microsoft Word document is set for single space, 1.15”.  with “Tight” paragraph layout selected on paragraph spacing on the design tab. The document appears correct in print preview.  However, after the PDF document is created .41 line space is added during the conversion.  So the 1.15 line space in the Word document is a 1.56 line space in the PDF document.  Consequently, lines of text are moved to another page, and the PDF no longer reflects the intended design.  Additionally, should any images or tables be inserted they appear in different locations, and potentially across a page break. 

I do not see any settings in Microsoft Word, or Adobe Acrobat that preserve or adjust to a default line spacing to correct or prevent this problem.  This is a new problem, I have been using the same programs successfully for over a year on the same computer with the same operating system (Dell Precision, Windows 10 professional, Word 2016 Adobe Acrobat Standard DC 2015), but now there is a discrepancy.

I am not sure if anyone else has had this problem, and determined a resolution for this.  I am very aware that different system settings can override a Word layout, which is precisely one of the significant values of converting it to PDF using adobe, to preserve the specific system, layout, and design settings as the document was drafted.  So that two users can observe the same layout.  This is frustratingly removed for some reason, my work flow, that should be the seconds it takes to convert the document, are not increased as I adjust the spacing and positions, in acrobat.  Depending on document size and layout complexity, this can amount to hours.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What printer driver do you print to, from Word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. This is still an open issue. A direct answer from Adobe would be appreciated here to clarify their backend text processing.

I've run into the same line-spacing discrepancy in Open Office's .otf documents. A "double-spaced" line spacing option applied to text originally drafted in Open Office results in a line spacing of "2.3" when brought into Adobe Acrobat Pro (20.012.200043). I have double-checked my margins, page size, scaling, etc, and none are the culprit. It is difficult to trust a "reference" line scale when programs like Word, Open Office, and Adobe Acrobat Pro, all of which accepted as reference programs, lack a common standard. 

The Purdue Owl (long standing reference for academic MLA standards) has a reference document formatted in MLA7 on their website, which when brought into Adobe Acrobat also registers as "2.3" line-spaced. For now, I'm assuming Word and Open Office share the same standard, and that Acrobat is applying a different standard that what Purdue considers reference line-spacing.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am still having this issue also in 2023. What is the fix? Adobe please reply or just fix the problem. It's really quite a big issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines