Highlighted

Prevent preview of secure pdf?

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a pdf with a java script that prevents viewing unless you say you agree to a lot of legal stuff in a popup.  However if you send to to someone in Outlook, they can read the whole thing in preview with no problem. All I can find online is how to change Outlook settings to prevent this, nothing about pdf settings.  Makes the entire security thing useless. Is there a solution? Thanks. 

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Prevent preview of secure pdf?

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a pdf with a java script that prevents viewing unless you say you agree to a lot of legal stuff in a popup.  However if you send to to someone in Outlook, they can read the whole thing in preview with no problem. All I can find online is how to change Outlook settings to prevent this, nothing about pdf settings.  Makes the entire security thing useless. Is there a solution? Thanks. 

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What script does you use?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got this to work:  https://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2009/11/creating_a_click-thru_agreement/ which does exactly what I want. Only problem is that I want to adjust the width of the popup alert box. Can't figure out how to do that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

var nButton = app.alert({

cMsg: "Do you agree to the terms and conditions specified by your user agreement with XYZ Corporation?\n\n If you click No the document will close.",

cTitle: "Legal Notice",

nIcon: 2, nType: 2

});

if ( nButton == 3 ) this.closeDoc();

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This script will only work when Javascript is enabled.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and only if opened by a JavaScript capable PDF viewer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right - and it works and pops up and all of that for several people who have tested it. But the text box that pops up is long and narrow and I'd prefer it be more of a rectangle, just to be easier to read. That's the part I can't figure out and maybe I just don't understand what javascript can and can't do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
try67 LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do that would require using a Dialog object, which is much more complex to create.

Not worth the effort, in my opinion...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I generally recommend getting around this issue is to make the actual PDF an attachment to another PDF that has the legal language. That way all viewers will display the legal language but few will provide direct access to the attachment. Then you add to the legal language "By opening the attached PDF....."

Think of it as a PDF envelope for another PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 1
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add that text to the email in which you send the file, instead of using an envelope PDF...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider also (and it may be the same) the effect of someone just turning off JavaScript... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every PDF form maker should know this great trick:

https://www.abracadabrapdf.net/ressources-et-tutos/creation/forcer-utilisation-pdf-avec-acrobat-read...
Google Translate is your friend because its English translation seems relevant to me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0