• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print to Fillable form or Overlay PDF's?

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am looking for assistance. I would like to find a way to print to a fillable form or overlay PDF's

I do medical billing and am looking for a way to remotely without a printer, print a patients claim to a CMS 1500 form. The billing program I use will print the claim without the CMS background (it assumes I am printing to a blank CMS Form) However being remote due to HIPAA stuff I cannot print any paper from home. Ideally i would either like to overlay my text to a picture of a CMS form, OR print the text somehow to a fillable CMS form but i am not sure how to do either! Any ideas?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

See https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/apply-a-form-fillable-quot-layer-quot-on-pdf-files/m-p/11902659 for a solution to this.  Add the CMS 1500 form as a background to a page with your form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the layers pane:

Options button > Import as layer > Appear in front of page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't appear to work in Acrobat DC.

I created two documents.  One is the scan of the paper form and the other document is a blank page with form fields and checkboxes.  I open the scanned form in Acrobat DC.  Then, on the left side, I open the Navigation Pane, select the Layers button, which opens the Layers panel, then I select the Layers menu and from there select "Import as Layer".  I then specify the file to open (the blank page with form fields), and under "Create new layer", I give the new layer the name "form overlay".  I noted that "Order" in the bottom left says "Appear in front of page".

Once that is done, the form fields are there and visible, but are not editable.  For example, I see that check boxes are added, but I cannot check/uncheck them.  If I start over and put in some initial text into the form fields of the form field document and use that as a layer, I can see that initial text and it is in the right place, but it cannot be edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no form fields in the files you shared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the shared files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't the one that shared the files, so I assume your reply was meant for Leanne5CA6's post.  It does appear at my end that of the two files shared, which I'll call the (1) scanned page and the (2) overlay page, they do not have form fields.  I created an overlay page that does have form fields.  I created it by starting with the scanned page, asking Acrobat to create a form out of it, then edited the PDF to remove the scanned parts (and all but two of the form fields).  The remaining overlay page is just one form field and a four-option radio button group.  That overlay page is attached.  When I exit Acrobat DC to start over, I open the scanned page, then open the template page as a new layer.  The radio button group appears.  I presume the form field also is there in the layer, but I can't see it because it doesn't have any text in it.  But I know where it is on the page.  I cannot click on the radio buttons or enter text in the form field.  I believe if someone could explain how to get the overlay layer to be active and allow for editing that would solve Leanne5CA6's and my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/apply-a-form-fillable-quot-layer-quot-on-pdf-file... for a solution to this.  Add the CMS 1500 form as a background to a page with your form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure this out?  I have the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. Start with the form you have that you want to overlay form fields to. From a new blank document, add your form as a background. Then add in all of the form fields you want. Remove the background. Now you have a document that is just the form fields. Save that document.

Now each time you want to fill out that form, open the form field document, then open your form as a background. Fill in the form fields and then print to PDF to get a filled in PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines