Highlighted

Printer "Adobe PDF" different layout to Word

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When I create a Word document and want to print it with the "Adobe PDF" printer then my layout is false!! But when I change the size from A4 to A3 and then back to A4 the layout is correct.

Does someone know what setting this could be?

Thanks for the help!

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Printer "Adobe PDF" different layout to Word

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When I create a Word document and want to print it with the "Adobe PDF" printer then my layout is false!! But when I change the size from A4 to A3 and then back to A4 the layout is correct.

Does someone know what setting this could be?

Thanks for the help!

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 06, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robin,

Thank you for reaching out.

As per your description, the layout of the PDF created for the first time is false. However, just by switching the page size to A3 and back to A4, it works fine.

Could you please provide more details as asked below:

- Acrobat and MS Word version numbers

- What is the OS on the machine?

- Workflow used to create the PDF?

- Did you try creating PDF directly from the Acrobat application? If not, please try and check if you experience the same.

It would be helpful if you can share a video of the workflow or the screenshot of the layout. 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Meenakshi

Thanks for the answer.

Acrobat version: 2020.012.20041

MS Word version: 16.0.5032.1000

OS on the machine: Windows 10

Workflow to create PDF: We use AEM Forms PDFGen but when I make it manually via "Adobe PDF" printer it's the same result. So I just print to this printer.

- Did you try creating PDF directly from the Acrobat application? I have and directly in Acrobat it works fine with the correct layout.

Sadly I can't share a video or document because these are sensitiv data. But I can see that the Adobe PDF printer converts the blank space (spacebar) false.

Thank you!

Robin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Acrobat ribbon is strongly recommended rather than printing Word to Adobe PDF. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but when AEM Forms PDFGen uses this printer too. So I need a solution for this one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... well, changing layout when you change printer is something Word always does, by design. So, what happens if you set Adobe PDF as your default printer and review the document. Does it still change when you print to your (now default) printer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that works. But what is with old documents? Is there a way to keep the layout correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "correct" layout, because Word will change it for each printer. That's what it's supposed to do, and Adobe PDF isn't causing it; it's just a different printer. It may happen if you replace your printer with a different type as well. Word isn't generally used for laying out things whose layout must not change, such as magazines.

If Word is used carefully this is rarely a problem. Unfortunately some people do things that cause big problems such as

* pressing return repeatedly to start a new page, rather than using a page break

* pressing space to adjust layout to line up, rather than using tabs

* pressing return at the end of a line, when it is not necessary

* setting text or pictures very close to the edge of a page, which might not be printable on some printers.

The problem is worst for tightly layed out tables. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0