• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing a PDF only opens a Save As Dialogue, Does NOT actually print.

New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat DC, when I open a file and then try to print to my printer. It instead saves the file as a PDF. The printer dialogue box opens up and allows me to select the printer as if I was going to print but then when I press print a save as dialogue box opens up. I am assuming this is a checked setting somewhere, how do I fix this?

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is most likely due to a particular setting being inadvertently set.

From the Acrobat Print dialog, press Advanced.

Then in the Advanced Print Setup dialog, select the Output pane (left part of dialog).

You will see an option labelled Print to File. Make sure that this option is not checked (checking this option on forces the print driver's output to be diverted to a file causing a Save as dialog to appear).

Press OK and then Print. Your output should now correctly go the printer.

2017-05-13_22-56-33.png

If that does not solve the problem, it could be that the actual printer properties as accessed via Windows has a similar option checked. But if that was the case, all applications would experience the same problem.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, this morning Adobe Acrobat  Pro 9 is refusing to print to either of my printers (CANON PIXMA M922, DELL 1320 laser). it will only bring up the Save as File dialogue (like the previous posters problem). i tried the approach recommended above (go to ADVANCED settings). however, the page that comes up does not have a PRINT TO FILE box to check/uncheck. the only box on this line is PRINT TO IMAGE.

before coming to this website, i tried repair ACROBAT PRO. it did not fix the problem.

your help will be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not broken, it does not need repair. Turn off the PRINT TO FILE option. The answer was for Acrobat DC, not 9. Poke around for the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your advice ! It worked with me. I was stuck in typing a pdf document just I followed  your advice then everything worked properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dov, but I cannot for the life of me, find what you are proposing to fix this very frustrating problem. You mention the 'Print Dialog" .. sorry but ?

Maybe I need to reinstall the pdf. The picture of the 'Advance Print Setup' is nothing like what I have on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see in the print dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I trigger the Print icon, a 'Save to File' appears. If I click on the
'Save' button, the pdf is saved on my Desktop.
I then need to open that file from the Desktop and go to Print. Most times
this works, but it can become a bit time consuming.
The Epson Print control page come up, and there is NO 'Save to File' link
on any of the pages that I can find. And I have spent some time looking.

I have an older HP laptop, 14S -dko, using Windows 10 Version 22H2, and a
Epson EP 2205 Printer.

When I try to bring up a Acrobat page, hence pdf, there is nothing I can
find that says 'Save to File'.

Thanks for your help.

--
Nobby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the PDF file in Acrobat and print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(Von Dov bekommst Du hier im Forum leider keine Antwort mehr. Er ist im Ruhestand, jedenfalls für Adobe.)

Welche Acrobat Version hast Du denn?

Wir sind uns natürlich einig, dass die PDF-Datei mit Acrobat geöffnet wird und nicht mit etwas anderem?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines