Pro DC opens PDFs after making Reader DC default app

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a user who recently subscribed to Acrobat Pro DC.  She is a bookkeeper who processes many PDF invoices, but she also needs to be able to edit PDFs. 

After installing Pro DC, there are some PDFs that will not print for her in Pro DC but WILL print for her in Reader DC.  As such, she wishes to make Reader DC the default PDF handler, and we tried setting this both in the Pro DC app, the Reader DC app, and in the Windows PDF Properties dialog.  However, every time she opens a PDF, it still opens in Pro DC.

Any ideas as to why this is occurring or how to force Reader DC to open PDFs without uninstalling Pro DC?

Thanks,

Lee

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021
There is no good reason for having both Reader and Acrobat installed in parallel since Acrobat is a superset of  Reader. (Newer versions in the future will likely disable that ability to have such parallel installations!) A number of problems in the past have been traced to such parallel installations, either of the same or of different base versions of Acrobat. Reader and Acrobat both use the same print routines albeit with Reader's print features not being as extensive as those of Acrobat ...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lee,

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described the, Pro DC opens the PDF after making the Reader DC as the default application.

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is the advanced application/ super set of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC application, hence when both of them are present in the computer the Acrobat Pro DC application takes the ownership of the PDF files and open the PDFs by default.

Also, as mentioned some PDF files do not print from Acrobat Pro DC application but prints fine with Acrobat Reader DC. What happens when you try to print the PDF using Acrobat Pro DC application? Do you get any error message? If yes please share the screenshot of the same for a better understanding.

Please try to repair installation (Win only) from the help menu and reboot the computer once and check.

Also make sure you have the latest version 21.01.20145 installed. Go to Help > Check for Updates and reboot the computer once after updating the application and see if that works.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

Thanks for the clarification on the default actions when Pro is installed. 

As for the errors when printing, they aren't very informative.  After spooling a 4-page document created in Acrobat version 6.x (to an HP M402 PCL6 printer), I receive the following:

Lee5E68_0-1617623226782.png

Immediately after clicking OK, I receive this:

Lee5E68_1-1617623372099.png

After clicking OK on this dialog box, Acrobat locks up and will close on its own after a time or I have to End Task on it.

I should indicate that only documents from this specific vendor (using v6.x) for my bookkeeper are causing this issue and only when the PDFs are longer than 1 page.  When she sends me the document, I can print fine with my full version of Acrobat Pro DC on my HP 5740 printer.

I have reinstalled both Acrobat Pro and Reader DC from scratch (after previously uninstalling and rebooting).

Could it be the older version of the PDF file?  Could it be the PCL6 driver in concert with that?  Are there any logs in Acrobat I can pull to shed more light on what is occurring?

Thanks,

Lee

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no good reason for having both Reader and Acrobat installed in parallel since Acrobat is a superset of  Reader. (Newer versions in the future will likely disable that ability to have such parallel installations!)

A number of problems in the past have been traced to such parallel installations, either of the same or of different base versions of Acrobat.

Reader and Acrobat both use the same print routines albeit with Reader's print features not being as extensive as those of Acrobat Pro. Thus, it is unlikely a driver problem, but possibly an issue with Reader and Acrobat Pro settings conflicting with each other.

My recommendation is to totally uninstall both Reader and Acrobat Pro, reboot, and then install Acrobat Pro by itself.

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

Thank you for the reply and suggestion.  I have implemented your recommendation on the user's computer, and I will report back the results.

Thanks again,
Lee

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dov,

Your recommendation solved the problem for the most part.  There is an oddity with printing multiple pages from this vendor in Acrobat Pro, but using the Print as Image option solves it.  That is acceptable.  Thanks again for yours and Amal's help.

Lee

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines