• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with creating pdf from scanner in latest Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File -> Create -> PDF from Scanner worked fine for me for several years with my Epson WF-3540 printer/scanner, several levels and versions of Adobe Acrobat products - up to Adobe Acrobat Pro DC - and my old Win7 laptop.

Last week I finally got around to deploying my new Win10 laptop and installing Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.  Today I needed to scan some letters to PDF and was surprised and disappointed.

My usual "File -> Create -> PDF from Scanner" brings up the "Scan & OCR" page with sections:

Scanner

(Epson WF-3540 is selected)

Scan using

"Default settings" radio button is pre-selected and cannot be de-selected

"Show scanner's user interface" is greyed out.

The settings "gear icon" brings up a different page of options

Or use a predefined scan setting

All of these options such as "Autodetect Color Mode" are greyed out. They cannot be selected.

My former procedure (with myWin7 computer) was to select one of the predefined settings and run with it.  No problem.

Today, hitting Scan brings up a "What do you want to scan?" dialog box.

1.  I change paper source from Flatbed to Document Feeder
  2. I select the "Black and white picture of text" radio button
  3. I select the "Adjust the quality of the scanned picture" hyperlink and increase Resolution from 100 to 300 DPI and hit OK (which changes the radio button selection to "Custom Settings"
  4. I change page size from Legal to "Letter 8.5 x 11"

I hit Scan

IMPORTANT:  There is no way to save these four steps!  Must be repeated for every scanning event.

This is an unacceptable downgrade. 

I chatted with a remote session with a support agent who concluded "That's the way it's intended to work in the latest edition".  And "It cannot be fixed".

Has anyone else seen this new bug?  What did you do to work around it?  Is there really no solution?

I do not want to cancel my subscription but I pay too much to accept this kind of downgraded performance.

Thank you in advance.

Bob P.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Amal, and all,

The problem is solved.

I called the Adobe support number 800-833-6687 and spoke with Nalia.  We shared my screen and she duplicated the problem.  She delved deeper and found my Epson-3540 drivers were out of date.  I updated the drivers through the Epson website, rebooted, tested scanner and all is well.

A little background:

1. Dell is very proud of their "Support Assist" program and their agents repeatedly said running the Support Assist utility regularly would keep "all my drivers" up

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Robert, 

We are sorry for the trouble and the experience. Please use the Adobe wish form (https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html) to share your feedback with the engineering team.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal.  Thank you for your reply.  You are not the one who sets policy or fixes software bugs, so I will follow your suggestion, but please pass this comment up the line.

Requests to fix newly introduced bugs are not "wishes".  I'm somewhat put off by Adobe calling it that.

This expensive program used to work.  The same program - with the same scanner - with only a change of computer and operating system - now has a serious bug.

Windows 10 is not new.  I held off to beyond the last possible moment to adopt Windows 10.  Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is not new.  

This bug ought to have been fixed by now, and fixing it should not be treated as if a suggested new feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal, and all,

The problem is solved.

I called the Adobe support number 800-833-6687 and spoke with Nalia.  We shared my screen and she duplicated the problem.  She delved deeper and found my Epson-3540 drivers were out of date.  I updated the drivers through the Epson website, rebooted, tested scanner and all is well.

A little background:

1. Dell is very proud of their "Support Assist" program and their agents repeatedly said running the Support Assist utility regularly would keep "all my drivers" up do date.  Apparently (not obvious to me) Support Assist is not aware of my printer's drivers and did not update them.
  2. It was late on Friday night when I saw the scanner problem.  I used the chat utility and shared my screen with a chat agent, who did not have Nalia's insight and told me essentially that that's the way it is and it cannot be fixed.  That kind of pissed me off and I was ready to cancel my subscription.
  3. Saturday I created my original detailed message to the Adobe Support Community and received the message to submit my case as an "idea" for a future fix.  That really pissed me off, but I submitted my "idea".
  4. Today (Monday) I called and spoke with Nalia - who rescued me 🙂

All is well.  I'll post this to that "idea" page to close the bug report there as well.

Thank you to all who've read this.  If it's archived it may help others in a similar situation.

If I am no longer disgruntled but am completely satisfied, does that make me "gruntled"?

Cheers,

Robert Peruzzi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert, 

We are glad to hear that the issue got fixed.

Feel free to contact us for any further assistance required in the future. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem with the Fujitsu fi7140 scanner. At first, only the WIA driver had been installed. The scanner showed up in Acrobat as "WIA-fi-7140". The predefined setting was grayed and disabled.  Then I discovered that Fujitsu also provides the TWAIN driver. After installing the TWAIN driver, the scanner appears as "Paper stream IP fi-7140". The predefined setting is black and enabled. Everything works fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines