Highlighted

Process action script on server

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have written an annotation script in acrobat pro. I would like to install that script on a server, upload the pdf, and execute the code on the server from my website, tgen download tge resiltung pdf document. Is there a server side API or a convenient way to process the file in the server? The script automates annotations and so it should be adobe native code rather than a third party server side solution. Ideas?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Process action script on server

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have written an annotation script in acrobat pro. I would like to install that script on a server, upload the pdf, and execute the code on the server from my website, tgen download tge resiltung pdf document. Is there a server side API or a convenient way to process the file in the server? The script automates annotations and so it should be adobe native code rather than a third party server side solution. Ideas?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this may be possible with the Adobe Acrobat FDF Toolkit.

There's also few methods described in the JavaScript for Acrobat API Reference for server-side scripts using FDF.

It seems that the annotation actions can be parsed but from the quick glance at the references I am not sure if the annotations will be retained in the resulting PDF when it is opened on the client-side.

There are a few considerations about privileged and trusted functions in this regard, to include Reader enabled rights.

Use this reference to get an idea for some server-side scripts examples with FDF.

And use this reference for a comprehensive how-to  on how to export/import data: 

Additionally, you may need to request a license for the FDF Toolkit:

See more here : FDF Toolkit Overview and Reference 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can't do that. Acrobat is not technically suitable for use on a server. More, it is forbidden by the license to install it on a server. So this is a complete non starter.  The script, is it written in Acrobat JavaScript? If so, there is no server-side solution to do this. You can get third party libraries for PDF, and license Adobe's PDF Library, but these are different interfaces and programming languages. For Adobe's PDF Library, refer to http://www.datalogics.com/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test_Screen_Name:

To clarify, the FDF Toolkit doesn't and won't run Acrobat on a server; the references above clearly state that you cannot install Adobe Acrobat on the server that the FDF toolkit will be deployed. The FDF toolkit only parses the responses that are received and sent. 

But just so I am clear too on what you're saying, I've seen other discussions that you've provided guidance on this:

And my question is,  if the FDF Toolkit was phased out or deprecated  after Adobe Acrobat 8.0?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard nothing of the FDF Toolkit in years; it may or may not still be available. However, crucially, it can only operate on FDF files. It cannot do any merging with PDF, parsing of PDF, or any other PDF function. Hence, I don't see how it can satisfy the original need. All it could do is return an FDF, which could be

- imported to Acrobat manually (not applicable)

- imported to Acrobat programmatically (needs Acrobat on the client)

- given a PDF reference, then the FDF opened in Acrobat to update the PDF (can't see that working as the server can't control the PDF location)

- passed via a URL to a PDF file (almost completely useless now, since only IE uses Adobe tech to open files)

It is probably the plethora of non-Adobe PDF browser components that has killed server-side FDF so thoroughly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
ls_rbls LATEST
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see... thank you as usual for clarifying!

With your clarification,  I just realized I got myself in unchartered waters and this topic is definitely way above my league at this time.

########BREAK###########

D.OLIVER:

I think you've got a lot of reading to do.

Hopefully you can find a solution to your project. Seems like it would be a great task automation if it is possible at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0