• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"A number is out of range" save issue

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a digital comic called Heart of Gold from a Kickstarter. I have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat my college provides, and have saved downloaded comics many times in the past. This time I am having an issue where instead of being able to be saves, I receive a message stating "The document cannot be save. A number is out of range." No one else in the campaign is having this issue, so I think it might be a problem with the program. What should I do in order to save the comic onto my laptop?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

I recently came across this error message from a PDF I exported from Storyline Rise (an online eLearning authoring tool). The only solution that worked for me was to open the PDF in the browser and then print it as a PDF. It was a weird approach, but it worked. No more error on my end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luckstars,

As shared above, you are receiving the error "The document can't be save". Is it with a specific document or while opening the multiple files?

You may try the troubleshooting steps suggested in the help article here: Error: A number is out of range while viewing PDF or deleting pages from a PDF, Acrobat  and let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Akanchha,

The problem is coming from this particular file only. I cannot save the file at all, even into downloads, so I cannot export or convert it.

I have been able to save other files despite this issue with this one. Thus, the problem is not with the program, but probably with the file itself. I was wondering if there is a way to troubleshoot this, since I cannot get another version. \

From,

Luckstars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Luckstars,

Sorry for the delay in response to your last message.

thanks for confirming that the issue is with a specific file. When problem comes to a specific file not the application, then there isn't much that we can do about it.

There could be a possibility that the file got corrupted. You might need to contact to the owner from whom you have received it.

-Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing has happened to me.  I had to export the corrupt PDF file to Word, then save the file as a PDF and then the file worked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A slightly shorter solution would be to open in DC and go to 'organise pages > extract pages (check extract pages as separtate files)'. The new version created should be issue free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I was panicking because I had 88 comments that couldn't save, but luckily this trick worked. Extract and compile again, works like a charm. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep... Oweg_03 to the rescue! Worked like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm new to this. What does DC stand for? I've been having this error, and can't figure out any fix. I'm using Adobe Reader and I do not have an option to go to File>Post Script. There is no Post Script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion and this workaround might be good for shorter documents but when I tried it on a 55 page document it only create 55 different files in my documents folder. It was too time consuming to recreate the document one page at a time through orgainse pages. 

Its funny that most of the time I have no issues adding watermarks from the original source doucment. Then everynow and again get this error.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@oweng_03  Thank you for the trick! It works like a charm.
I tried to export whole document and I got the same error as previously. Then I tried to extract all pages except first page and finished successful. Then I tried to extract only page 1. and got again the same error. Also I have corrupted only one page. I re-created this page from original document and merged with all extracted pages. I didn't lost any comment. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oweng_03, You are the Best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does that work if the document is 1,400 pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with an interactive form I have created. Everything was working well until I added a new field. Then it just stopped being able to be saved. Kept getting this error. It did not matter about saving it to another format.

Frustrating having to recreate an extensive form from scratch due to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say it is the application, because this even happens with older documents. Only when I use the fill and sign does it seem to not allow me to save the filled out file. So I had to print it out, then scan the document before I could email it.  I do not want to pay a monthy applcation 13 bucks a month for what maybe two or three times a year that I have to do this with let's say, w-9 file.  Come on adobe, stop nickling and diming us... I really hate the fact that I am forced to pay a month subcription on your products and be force to only be able to used them when connected to the wifi. shame on you. A lot of times i am out of internet range because I often work remote locations and I can't use lightroom because its only operational when conected to the internet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with a PDF form I received from someone else. I found out that the form got corrupted when I opened it on a Mac with Preview (version 10.1). I went back to the original PDF form and opened directly in Reader DC and there were no more error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same thing happen in MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 when I edited a fillable e-trade stock donation pdf. I believe it was caused by the MacOS Preview app allowing me to enter too many characters in one of the text fields. When I opened the original document in Acrobat Pro DC, it prevented me from entering too many characters in the same field and the save worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use Apple Preview. Use it when you like damaged PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I wanted to complete / save a PDF. I had opened the PDF in Preview first and then got this error when I opened it with Adobe PDF and tried saving. I downloaded the PDF again and opened with Adobe PDF without first opening it in Preview and this resolved the issue. I'm on Mojave 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with IRS form fw9. It can't be saved.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2

Acrobat Pro DC (Continuous Release) 2019.010.20069

No security on the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PariahBurke  Have you tried the troubleshooting steps shared in the original response above? Also, look the workaround shared by the other users on this same post.

-Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because the referenced troubleshooting document clearly states "

This solution works well for a PDF without interactive elements, such as multimedia or form fields. Don't try this solution if the PDF has interactive elements;" and I stated "I'm having the same problem with IRS form fw9," which contains form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The form must have been corrupted prior to it being sent to me. I downloaded it again directly from the IRS and was able to save it from Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open the file in Google docs:

Right click on the downloaded file > Open with > Google Chrome

Save to your PC's folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines