• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"save as" pop up box does not allow me to save the document.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

"save as" pop up box does not allow me to save the document. Shows a blank screen. Any idea what would cause this? I just purchased acrobat pro dc.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Found this solution:

The default "Save As" dialog in Acrobat DC is different than the dialog that you've had in earlier releases of Acrobat, it also allows you to save to the cloud and previous locations you've saved files to. It is possible that when Acrobat tries to connect to "the cloud", it runs into problems. You may want to try to turn this feature off to see if that brings your save as dialog back: Open up Acrobat's preferences, then go to the "General" category and deselect "Show online s

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
New Here ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting very frustrated with Adobe.  I've ALWAYS been able to do a Save As and select a file/name, or I've been able to click Print then select PDF, but nothing is working.  The answer above referencing Preferences - I cannot find Preferences anywhere, and when I try to google it I get so many hundreds of questions about what exactly.  I'm thinking of completely uninstalling Adobe and trying to start from scratch.  This problem cropped up recently, I think, during some kind of upgrade that I wish I had not done.  I can't even find a phone number so I can call and talk to a human.  I'm really beginning to HATE Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I opened a document and from there was able to find Preferences.  I made the change recommended and I am now able to save documents.  Still don't understand why Adobe would allow this to remain such a secret.  Thank you to the 'richil' for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much - this fixed my issue too!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me too! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked for me as well recently dropped. Wasted time trying to figure this out. I am still having issues because I cant print anything. This is ridicules as I am trying to make project deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, brilliant, been puzzling me for a while. Much appreciated. Good luck to anyone still having issues with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solve my problem with this answer thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working in Adobe X 10.1.16 on Mac OS 10.12.6 and 10.13.4 with the same problem using a Mac Mini File Server running OS X 10.8.5 and Mac Server 2.2.0. Users were having to save documents to a 'dummy' location before being able to save to their original location folder. This occurred when making a quick change and save or when they wanted to add a revision to or change the title (R01, R02, etc).

It didn't matter if the original file was on their desktop or on the network drive.

The workaround (which only saved one step) is that you don't have to physically SAVE the document at all. When it asks you where you want to save, you just have to go to a different folder, then go back to the original folder you want to save in. Not sure if it has to be a separate drive altogether or just a different folder on the same drive.

So, if you were on your desktop, and you were getting the error, when you do a Save As or when it asks you to save, you must select 'documents' or 'downloads' first, then go back to desktop to save the document. (If you're using the same name it will ask you to replace, as usual).

I actually have Adobe XI, so I wasn't having the issues until co-workers brought it up who were using Adobe X. I'm dreading the upgrade, to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you so much Adobe Guru - your instructions worked!!! I have been trying to fix the same issue for almost 6 months. Even called our IT guy and even he couldn't figure it out. On Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Turning off that feature did work... God Bless You!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant - solution worked a treat, my sincerest thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what the window looks like if anyone wants to know.

The Format drop down menu disappeared after reinstalling on a new computer running High Sierra.

I don't have the items to check off in the General pane of the preferences of Acrobat X1 Pro ver 11 so I still can not fix it.

I might have to reinstall.

BTW, the Format drop down menu DOES show up in the newer Acrobat Pro DC (Build: 18.11.20055.290043). See 2nd image attached below.

Acrobat X1 Pro:

.jpg

Acrobat Pro DC:

.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank YOU SO much. This was an easy fix thanks to your insight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The solution below from richil on 14th May 2015 still works.

Nigel 18.9.19

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have just saved me months of angst! Why didn't I come here earlier? 
Gold - Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, this solution fixes another issue. When the 'show online storage' option was checked, 'Save' would constantly bring up the dialogue box in Reader DC, rather than just saving to the updates to the original file location (the default 'Save' behaviour I have been expecting since 1984 or thereabouts). Now that the online storage option is turned off, 'Save' seems to be working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my hero. I was very close to smashing my computer lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, great and thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the Adobe Acrobat Pro and had the same problem. The fix suggested by richil 6+ years ago worked perfectly. Thanks a million! Why is this still a problem 6 years later??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines