• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-post of lost question? file size too large !

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, Re-post of lost Question.  I am learning to scan and reduce file size on my books.  Learning Acrobat more by trial and error and you help more then the how too books I am reading.  I notice some books really decrease in size with extreem sharpness, and some only decrease a bit and text is really rough?  But mor imprtant then that is I have reduced some books to as low as 12 Meg?  Why do some books (All Text, no images) with the same amount of pages come in at around 100 Meg?  I am attaching one page that really confuses me, I have tried to reduce it's size in the three or four ways I "know" how to reduce file size.  This is only one page and it is about 4.3 Meg!  Sounds really large for just one pahge of plain text!  Any advice or direction in whats going on would be GREATLY appriciated !!!

Thanks, Mattee

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fonts requires the most space:

Bild1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but should only one page of text be about 12K instead of 4.3 Meg?  Is it "THE" font thats the problem, and if I switch to times, or ariel, or domething else it will radically drop in size?  I noticed if I remove transparencies everything diaspears, and If I put into edit text mode all the text looks like one big box like it was a picture?  When you do the OCR and create a "real text"  doesent the old image of the text get thrown away as it is big and no longer needed?

Thanks Mattee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image is only 3k large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since last two posts to this got "lost".  I'll try again.  Thanks Bernd.  I know about the Audit space to check.  What I am confused about is why the text is taking up so much space  I have a few books that in their entirity ar about 12Gig... So why is one page so big?  Not knowing anything I could only only guess resolution is some how to high, or is it something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text uses 6k.

How does you create the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just scaned pages of a book on a scanner, and croped and reduced file the best I could with a few of the reduce file size options, and got a single test page of over 4 Meg !  Not sure hoy to reduce it any more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scanner must do OCR. There are many different ways to OCR, check the scanner software for controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, you mention "sharpness". This isn't an Acrobat setting, where do you set it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have saved the page as image, converted the image to PDF, and perform OCR on this file. I get a size of 49k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your scanner embedded two versions of Minion Pro, two versions of Minion Pro BoldItalic and one version of Minion Pro Bold in the file. Hence the large file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use Acrobat Pro to OCRize this page, or did you use the scanner driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks All, I am using Acrobat pro DC.  I just scan to a thumb drive, put into my laptop then open amd manipulate in Acrobat pro OCR first.  I was really exhausted and tried lotes of variour quality reductions verses the "enhanser" options even reducing quality to 150 DPI for all I was still getting over 4 Meg. I was really tired and did "something" I cant remember and got a really low 200k reduction.... But the reading of the text was super pixilated (My Lack of sharpness coment), to the point where it was hardly readable. Thanks Try67 that sort of makes a reason why.  I 'll try what Bernd mentioned about exporting as an image and reimport as a PDF and try again and see if that helps.  My ultimat goal of all of this is to scan my books, add OCR to all, and be able to read them with a tablet.  And hopefully have a speach reader speak it, weather from text or pdf secognition.  Im hoping if I can learn a bit deeper how to do this with one page, I can reduce the entir book more. I have scanned over 300 books so far. 25% reduce well, if I zoom into fill the screen with a few words they are clean looking fonts. 50% are so so, and 25% are really "bad", (After reduction books way over 100 Megs).  Im trying to learn a deep understanding of what to "do". I know when I reduce things I have to give up quality, it's just finding the balance of what I can live with.  But most of the books I am reading, don't cover the insight you are all mentioning.  For example I was suprised/impressed by "try67's" comment about all the MInion pro fonts in the file... I thought all the file reduction,  removing all hidden info,  deleating everything I could find to remove that at most there would be one version of text left!!!  I'll have to learn a better understanding if this!  Di Just sellect the entire book adn rteplace all fonts with one simple readable type?  I dont care of the "artfulness" of many font types, one type is fine.  When looking for embedded fonts, I never saw anything, so didnt think there was any!  Anyway sorry for the extensive rambeling, your help is GREATLY appriciated !!!

Mattee 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then... all the important work is done when you "scan to a thumb drive". It's easy to see scanning as something simple and free from choice, but there are HUGE and important choices when scanning, which you must somehow be able to make. You are trying to fix bad choices later in Acrobat. Getting good choices is nothing to do with Acrobat, but we might be able to point you in the right direction if you can tell us what software you actually do use - which might actually be in a scanner. This stuff is anything but generic. So, what scanner model, what software, and what settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, never thought of the first step as so critical! Thanks!  I'll have to look at which morel it is when I get to work, it's a large Office Kyocera Scanner Printer Email machine, all Isort of know is I tried to download a "KX .7.5.087" driver to my laptop. ?Is there any advantage to hook my laptop to the scanner via the usb port and ask my laptop acrobat to scan directly to it, v.s. scan to thumb drive and insert thumb drive into laptop to work on things from that angle?

I only type in the Kyocera's scanning options page size of pages and choose color or greyscale or black and white, and the scannng resolution.  I use to use 300 x 300, but the scan looked really rough.  So not knowing any better... I started to scan as 600 x 600 hoping to get clearer text and better OCR recognition.  That part seamed to work.  I "thought" I could just reduce the image size once in acrobat.  I never thought initial scanning would limit reduction options. As "tery67" mentioned there was many layers of different Minion text overlapping each other.  I was not aware of that, or if I need to/or can specify the text to be use on initial scan?  I haven't played with Bernd's idea as saving everything as only images, then re OCR in Acrobat?  Might get rid of all the overlaping fonts I never knew were there, even when I went looking for them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS.... I really want to thank you all for your help, (Sorry try67 for the typo tery67 in last post).  Of all the Acrobat books I have been trying to read, they tell a lot how to do this and that, which is quite nice for making and fixing things in general.  But the stuff you all are teaching me in not really mentioned or explained as well as you all have been doing.  They just show the "redice file size" or basic "enhanse document" settings, but no clear deep understanding of "things" like if your font is too pixelated... What causes it.  Or File wont reduce in size, why...Maybe many font types overlaping that you cant find to know that!  I think just learning this part of the programs abilities (Reducing file size, which way is best and what to expect) could be a book all onto itself!   Is mentioned previously I have made way to many scanned and reduced books in my personally created library, some that are in the 100 - 200 meg range.  (But due to bad initial scanning on my part they were about 400 meg before I started!)  If lots of color images, this may not be unusual?  But really big files  on a small hand size reading book that is just B/W text tells me I am doing something wrong!  I will continue to read all the books I can find, and MORE of the youtube explanations to learn (limited)..... But from what you ALL have been kind on sharing with me is way beyond anything I think exists "out there".  So once again, Thank You All Very Much!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is hard. Some book authors actually don't know the internals to guess at the really specific things you mention. But let's have a go at some of these.

"if your font is too pixelated... What causes it." Then it isn't a font. Really not. Fonts will never pixellate in a PDF. So you have a PICTURE of a font. Sure, the quality or resolution is too low.

"  Or File wont reduce in size, why.." The problem is your expectation that it WILL. Some files reduce in size and some don't. (It's easy to prove it's absolutely impossible to make a tool that would ALWAYS reduce anything) To reduce in size something has to be thrown away. The things that might be thrown away include

- stuff you don't see (for example into to make the file accessible for people with disabilities)

- quality of pictures - you can reduce the pixels in a picture and it might use less space. Or you can compress agressively with poorer quality.

- embedded fonts - these use space. Sometimes you could remove the font, but this can be a disaster, be sure you understand the consequences for you and other users.

That really is about it. So, for example, a file with no embedded fonts or pictures often can't be shrunk at all. If you use good software to make the PDF, there is probably nothing to shrink! Your Kyocera has many choices, including resolution, image quality (which covers OCR or not), JPEG quality; test these extensively before trying to fix anything in Acrobat, you may get just the info you need. Check the manual for your scanner. Be sure you understand OCR and its choices, this is probably the most crucial thing to get right first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.. tried reducing the page at top of this post in any way I could ... "Always" stayed at over 4 Meg.  Then I tried Bernd_Alheit's recomendation, brilliant!!!.  I took this 4 Meg page and exported it as a PNG file.  Then opened in in Acrobat ran OCR and enhansed then saved it.... ITS NOW only 36K.  And the text is even more crisp!  So that raises a new dilema.... If I export the entire PDF book, I get 475 seperate PNG files (Smaller then usual book).  Its not really practicle to INDIVIDUALLY import each page one by one to see what we get.  Is there any way to import all these pages all at once?  Thanks to you All !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can combine the image files in Acrobat:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/merging-files-single-pdf.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome.... Finally have a new Processing Method that way BETTER then I was doing before.  If anyone cares about how to process a book to PDF (beginner) for reading on their Tablet, I'll attach it here as not bore everyone with my rambelings.  I want to thank again, (In order of Posts) - Test_Screen_Name, Bernd_Alheit, Try67, JR_Boulay and others from other posts on helping me along a beginners journy to finally start making usefull size Acrobat PDF books for my evolving library.  OOPS sorry, forgot how to have just an Icon attach, oh well, full info image below.Decresing File Size and Prep for Tablet Reading.png

Thanks Again, Mattee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Color Image was 300 not 130

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines