Highlighted

Re-sort pages base on text on the page

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf file that is system generated for course survey results.  The survey has 5 sections and the system generates one section at a time (so the file shows the first section for all courses first, then it has the second section for all courses, etc).  I would like to re-sort the pages so that all of the pages for one course are listed together.  The file is massive as there is one survey for every course offered.  It would take a really long time to click and drag all of the pages to get them in the right order.  Each file contains the course number and the instructor id at the top of the page.  Is there a way for Adobe Pro DC to arrange all of the pages based on the course and the instructor without having to click and drag everything?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Re-sort pages base on text on the page

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf file that is system generated for course survey results.  The survey has 5 sections and the system generates one section at a time (so the file shows the first section for all courses first, then it has the second section for all courses, etc).  I would like to re-sort the pages so that all of the pages for one course are listed together.  The file is massive as there is one survey for every course offered.  It would take a really long time to click and drag all of the pages to get them in the right order.  Each file contains the course number and the instructor id at the top of the page.  Is there a way for Adobe Pro DC to arrange all of the pages based on the course and the instructor without having to click and drag everything?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this can be achieved with JavaScript scripting but based on some of the things you're asking it may not be a trivial task.

You may need to outsource a developer or look into a paid-for tool for this.  Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like this type of project can get real tricky and complicated.

Is sorting the pages going to be a one-time action or are you expecting for this action to act dynamically when the document is changed?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't need to be dynamic, a one time action would be fine.  It can just be something I can run once the file is generated (which should just be twice a semester).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you give me some direction on how to get the JavaScript to work?  Where would I put the script?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mentioned about: "Each file contains the course number and the instructor id at the top of the page"

Is this course number and instructor ID a fillable textfield, an annotation,  or just plain free text?

Also, can you provide an example of the PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-ran the file and was able to concatenate the course code and the instructor id so it looks like one code.  Here is a snapshot of one of the pages in the file.

Diane5E09_0-1603744381848.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possible using a script, in theory. However, you say the file is "massive". What does that mean, exactly? How many pages are we talking about? 100? 1,000? 10,000? This is crucial because a script can't process the contents of many pages due to memory allocation issues. If it needs to scan the contents of 1000+ pages it is very likely to grind to a halt and maybe even crash. If that's the case a plugin or stand-alone tool is probably the better option.

Either way, it will require developing custom-made code to do it, which is not a trivial task.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There would be upwards of 1,000 pages in the file at the end of a semester.  Can you point me in a direction on where to find some script that might do this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
try67 LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's too much for a script, and as I said, it will have to be custom-developed for this specific purpose.

If you're interested in hiring someone to create this tool for you (either as a script or as a stand-alone tool) fee free to contact me privatley via [try6767 at gmail.com] to discuss it further.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0