• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovering content from a "flash required" pdf?

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, well past sunset, I am trying to figure out how to recover content from a multimedia pdf that requires flash.
Any ideas?
The frustrating part here is that the flash was apparently incorporated to animate page transitions, I just need to access the information on those pages.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

You must find a 5/10 years old computer running 5/10 years old applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

We've warned people for years against using this kind of Flash-based animations for PDF files. It was clear it's a recipe for disaster, just for the sake of a childish visual effect...

I don't think there's much you can do about it now, unless you can find an old machine with Flash (or a Flash alternative) and take screenshots of each page and create a new PDF file from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Coworkers old computer was able to open it. I couldn't figure out how to take ascreenshot on that old system, couldn't dump it all at once either ....but, I printed it to pdf one page at a time. Data Saved!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to do this with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC or are you viewing this PDF with another software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't an avenue forward with Acrobat as far as I can tell. I have tried opening with other programs but, all I can see is the first page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, just to clarify, yes I have tried with Acrobat as well as other Adobe programs in an attempt to see the rest of the pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to share the file or an example of this PDF without any sensitive information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is a client supplied pdf and I am unable to share it. I can say that flash was incorporate to animate the pages to appear as if flipping through a book. There are touch points at the corners of the pages to activate the animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the menu

File > Save PDF Portfolio As Web Site

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that suggestion, I have tried that and variations on exporting or saving as.
Admittedly, I don't know much about pdf portfolios but, it doesn't even appear to be even a pdf portfolio, so the options I get are to export as html or save as html. In every case, I simply get the first page - the rest of the content appears to require flash to view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Adobe Acrobat does you use? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest version of this one. 2021.00120149
On some of the other apps I'm limited to specific versions to maintain compatibility with printers, client portals etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must find a 5/10 years old computer running 5/10 years old applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've warned people for years against using this kind of Flash-based animations for PDF files. It was clear it's a recipe for disaster, just for the sake of a childish visual effect...

I don't think there's much you can do about it now, unless you can find an old machine with Flash (or a Flash alternative) and take screenshots of each page and create a new PDF file from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a coworker with an older OS who is going to give it a try. Fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it make any different if you open the Windows Compatibility Troubleshooter and set the Acrobat compatibility to run in Windows 7 mode?   ...Just very curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because the Flash Player has been removed from all versions, including Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True... thank you for clarifying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coworkers old computer was able to open it. I couldn't figure out how to take ascreenshot on that old system, couldn't dump it all at once either ....but, I printed it to pdf one page at a time. Data Saved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey great job!

Thank you for sharing  that solution and updating the this thread.

For future reference, pressing CTRL+PrtSc (the print screen key) will copy a screenshot to the Windows clipboard.

Then you can open Microsoft Paint (or similar), paste the screenshot there and save as .png image.

This is old school since the days of MS Windows 95 (maybe even Windows 3.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines