Highlighted

Redacting a signed document

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to submit an offer letter from my previous company to my new company to verify my past employment. I have a PDF of the signed offer letter, but the redaction tool won't allow me to redact the salary (as requested by my new employer). I don't want to change anything in the offer letter, merely mask information that they have asked I not share with them. How can I do this?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Redacting a signed document

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to submit an offer letter from my previous company to my new company to verify my past employment. I have a PDF of the signed offer letter, but the redaction tool won't allow me to redact the salary (as requested by my new employer). I don't want to change anything in the offer letter, merely mask information that they have asked I not share with them. How can I do this?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 10, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. A signed document can't be edited without invalidating the signature. Either ask your former employer for a new signed version without the salary, or hand in a non-signed copy that you've redacted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks. That's an unfortunate feature (bug) as I can imagine many applications for such a tool. If the PDF truly represented a paper version, I could take a marker to a document and black out the confidential information, as was done in the past.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit old school but could you take a printed version of this letter, place black marker over that which needs to be redacted and scan that into a PDF?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a printer, but I did the digital version of that -- my husband saved it as a .jpg and then saved it again as a .pdf. Seems sort of silly but got it done! Thanks for your suggestion 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
try67 LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By doing so you've removed the digital signature, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 0