Highlighted

Redaction tool increasing storage size of PDF drastically

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a scanned pdf ~40 pages long that is 3.25Mb in size. However, I must add a small redaction to cover one word on each page. 

So, after ~40 tiny redactions in the whole document, my PDF then registers as a 29.5Mb document. The problem is that I need this document to be less than 10Mb in size to submit. How can I resolve this issue? Is there another tool I can use that doesn't increase the file size by 7x?

Thank you for any advice!

TOPICS
How to, PDF forms, Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Redaction tool increasing storage size of PDF drastically

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a scanned pdf ~40 pages long that is 3.25Mb in size. However, I must add a small redaction to cover one word on each page. 

So, after ~40 tiny redactions in the whole document, my PDF then registers as a 29.5Mb document. The problem is that I need this document to be less than 10Mb in size to submit. How can I resolve this issue? Is there another tool I can use that doesn't increase the file size by 7x?

Thank you for any advice!

TOPICS
How to, PDF forms, Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 05, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Save As command and save the file under a new name. That will force an optimization and could reduce the file-size significantly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
Josh5C82 LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice! This helped a little bit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the trouble here. Please update to latest 20.13.20064 (Released on 3rd Nov 2020) before proceeding ahead.

I have 2 workaround suggestions, which might not increase the file size so much:

Option1:

1. While apply redaction, turn off the sanitize doucment option, it will not sanitize the document.
Apply.png

Option2: If you wish to sanitize the document, then you can apply the registry shared below, it will skip overlapping objects while sanitizing as they lead to bloated file size.

Preference.png

I hope one of the two options work for you, do let me know if this solves your problem.

Thanks,

Charu Karwa

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, this did not decrease the size enough. I have decided to just compress the file, even though it's not the most ideal option. Thank you for your help and time though!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0