• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove unnecessary 'comment icon' on highlight comment.

Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no reason for a obtrusive yellow speech-bubble to notify the user that the text you highlighted is interactive, especially when it covers other text and doesn't match the color or opacity you selected for the highlight.

I fail to understand why it's so difficult to just add a comment to a bit of text without there being some icon, (from a very limited menu), be it star, or note, or arrow, or circle.  Do roll-over pop-outs in web browsers attached to anchor tags require icons?  No.  They take the anchor attributes because that's all they are, anchors, and they need no other.

Sorry for sounding petulant, but I've been fighting to find a way to create a simple bit of hot text with a call-out for most of the day and I've had no luck (well, I lie...  I've been able to underline the text w/o an icon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "sticky note" icon and the highlight annotation are separate things.

If you apply a highlight to a portion of text but do not add anything in the accompanying comment's note field, there is no icon.

If you type something in the note, the icon appears to indicate that the highlight has an attached sub-comment, containing your note.

It's just the way PDF files work. Annotations must have a placeholder on the page, even if they're parented to another type of annotation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.... the point is that it is unnecessary.   Whether one highlights the text or underlines it, or simply changes the color, there's -already- and indicator that there's a note attached.

I don't agree with this because Acrobat doesn't agree with it.  There's no difference between the Underline and Highlight functionality excepting that the indication that there is something special about the Highlighted text is even more apparent than the Underlined text, and yet, -there is no icon for the underline- and -there is an icon for the highlight-.  Exact same tool, slightly different visual text attribute.  It's not at all necessary and it obfuscates the document.

Which is more obviously special text that would have an annotation attached?

Underlined Text

or

Highlighted Text

Which therefore creates more need of a silly icon?  The answer is -neither-   The presence of an annotation is already indicated.

Highlighted Text Is unnecessary *chuckle*

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2011 Jul 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Acrobat X Annotations panel explains it a little clearer:

ax-annot-panel.jpg

The second-left on the top row is the "regular" Highlight tool - this draws the colored block over a text selection without any sticky note attached; it's all it can do (which is why the icon doesn't have a speech bubble overlay, as the next two have).

The bottom row contains text annotations. The first four do not display the sticky note icon even with a note attached, they simply display a tooltip (or open the note itself if you double-click them), so again there's no speech bubble on the icon. The fifth button is the "text note" tool, and this is the annotation type Acrobat uses if you type something into the popup field of a "regular" highlight, and hence this is why you see the highlight and the tiny speech bubble icon on the page. What started life as a "highlight" has become a "text note" as a result of entering something into the note field.

We've been asked a couple of times why Acrobat needs two versions of the highlight tool, and it's all down to this ability of the second type to contain a note.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bubble covers/blocks text in the line above!

We want to turn off the the bubble.

Tell us how.

Don't just tell us why the bubble is there.

How do we get rid of the bubble and still have a tool-tip pop up with text when moused over?

Dane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible. If you disable the comment icon the tooltip will be gone as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Acrobat started including the post it note spontaneously. I was able to make that stop by going to Preferences, the Comments, and unchecking the box that said include highlight texted in a note. It was driving me crazy before that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit, Preferences and remove the check for Enable text indicators and tool tips.  The bubble is gone, the highlight is still there, and if you click on it, the comment box will open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the only correct answer to this issue. i realize this is an old post, but 3 1/2 years later it still holds true. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. if one want to get rid of comment Bubbles & Boxes, please follow below steps which has to be used for every time we open pdf in Adobe reader-

1. Click on "comment" option in RHS.

2. Select "Filter" icon.

3. Select "boxes, comments etc you want to see" or, Simply select "Hide all comments"

All Gone for this session. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know what RHS stands for.

Inside of preferences, there is NO filter option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on adobe acrobat X:

edit/preferences/commenting:     uncheck : copy selected text into highlight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the help menu type in comments --> pdf comments. A little windowtab will pop up and click the button on the top right hand corner and delete all comments 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Disabling
Edit => Preferences => Enable text indicators and tooltips
in Acrobat Reader removed the sticky notes icons for me. 

However, I would like to store this info with the document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines