Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing Dropdown Arrows in PDF Form

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've created a fillable PDF form with a few drop-down menus. I need to use the dropdown menus, but not have the dropdown arrows show after I've selected an item because it makes the text too small to read OR cuts off too much information to be readable. I've seen mention of Javascripting to do this, but am not sure how to do it in Forms editor. 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What operating system and Adobe Acrobat product are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC on a PC running Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't remove this arrow. What you can do is not use a drop-down field at all, but a button field with a script attached to it that displays a pop-up menu with the options, and then populate the selected option as the caption of the button or to a separate field (a text field, for example). All of this requires some scripting know-how, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a small clarification: The arrow of a drop-down field can be removed, if you set the field as read-only, but then the user won't be able to change their selection, which is probably not what you want...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I go about doing that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If by "that" you mean the first thing I've described, the options are learn to write JavaScript for Acrobat code, or hire someone to do it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gah - we had a sheet that worked perfectly and was created in LifeCycle designer. But now that we had to create it in Adobe instead, we can't get it to work correctly. One small change to the sheets and now they're completely messed up. Ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's important to know that LCD and Acrobat forms are completely different things, even if they might look the same and are both PDF files. I would recommend using only Acrobat forms, as LCD is on it's way out, and is becoming more and more difficult to support, and less and less usable by the end-user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Would you mind sharing the LiveCycle PDF that you were using before?

More specifically, if this is a government form, I can take a look at what this form is intended to do and reproduce a clean Adobe Acrobat Pro DC PDF out of it.

I work around this issue at work with old unsupported forms A LOT .

If you prefer, you may message me privately with the form attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is Adobe going to fix this, and by fix I mean "Make it so it acts the way it has in every other version of Acrobat and Windows I've dealt with since XP". I mean, "You have to learn to script of hire someone to script this for you" is FAR less than optimal when apparenlty a long standing feature has turned into a bug. It would have been nice to know before upgrading computers to Windows 10, I would have held onto a Windows 7 machine JUST FOR PRINTING THIS DOCUMENT CORRECTLY because, clearly, that would have been less time consuming and far cheaper than the only solution offered up here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of fix does you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't really need the arrow down. The control should be clean and not use any real estate. When you click on the combobox it should show the list. If the combo allows new entry, it should filter the entries in accordance with the typed value. This arrow down is old school and Adobe does amaizing things with user interface and yet is still in Windows 95 comboBox era. This is the fix the control needs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines