• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Requirements to Reinstall Acrobat XI Pro?

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**What are the required documents and credentials to reinstall Adobe Acrobat XI Pro from scratch?**

As explanation, for several years Acrobat XI Pro has run flawlessly on this computer, long after my upgrade to Windows 10.

However, now when using a Canon LIDE-120 to scan to PDF (a common and always successful activity here) Acrobat XI crashes without explanation.  No error messages are provided.  Win10 continues to run fine.

This is a problem noted by a number of posters to this community dating back to 2017.

The Adobe's modify/repair applet in Windows 10 under Set-up|Apps and Features "humps" on Acrobat XI for several minutes, reports that its effort was successful, but afterward Acrobat XI still crashes as it did before.

I long ago lost the shipping carton, diskette and keycode for this copy of Acrobat XI.  How do I recover the key code so that I can reinstall it? 

While searching on Help|About I just noticed that this problem is not specific to scanning as I mentioned.  Acrobat XI Pro crashes as a result of various activities within Acrobat XI.  If my keycode is listed in Help|About the program does not last long enough for me to read it.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need the installer (CD) and serial number. Acrobat won’t show you, you need a record. However, since Acrobat XI is end of life, and not changed for years, it may well be the scanner driver that is crashing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply.  I will continue to search for the box that the software arrived in.

Since writing my original post I've determined that simply loading any random PDF file is sufficient to make Acrobat XI crash, and in the same way: the app window simply disappears with no error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try updating to the final release, 11.0.23? This doesn't need any original info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Yes I did attempt the update because Acrobat lives just enough time to invoke the updater.  The updater chugs successfully for awhile then reports back that it is stymied by inability to modify a certain .TMP file. It suggests that another updater has previously tried to update Acrobat and, in recognition of that, it won't make further attempts at updating. 

I can do a wholesale reinstall of Acrobat XI if I locate its serial number.  I'm reluctant to use a keycode finder program because of the obvious security risk that introduces. 

In the end I might have to accept Adobe's recent transition to "software as a service", which is difficult for me because I make low-margin hardware at work. 

I'm trying to picture a world in which my hardware customers would allow me to ding their checking accounts monthly for the rest of their lives. Brings a smile to my aging face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't rely on auto updaters. The updates for Acrobat and Reader are linked from the bottom of this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/acrobat/kb/install-updates-reader-acrobat.html

Reinstalling is unlikely to help you, since it will only reinstall the old unpatched version which seems to be failing for many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jimolson,

++ Adding to the suggestion by Test_Screen_Name

You may also use the help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/end-of-support-acrobat-xi-reader-xi.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines