Highlighted

Restore "artefacted" object

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sometimes an object in a pdf file is designated as an artefact, but it shouldn’t be. It should be a ‘normal’ object because it would have meaning for the all readers, including people with a speech or braille tool, especially when I would add an alternative text. The situation can be a result of the conversion from the source program, or I have marked an object as an artefact and later regret it.

Now I have difficulties changing those objects and making them available to users of accessibility tools. In the Content panel, I can click on those items and choose ‘remove Artifact’. After that, it is shown in that panel as a ‘normal’ object. However, in its window, all fields are greyed out. The former artefacts don’t show up in the Tags panel either (which was the whole point of the change).

So designating an object as an artefact looks like a one-way change. Does somebody know how to make it a two-way action?

Best regards,

Bram

TOPICS
How to, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Restore "artefacted" object

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sometimes an object in a pdf file is designated as an artefact, but it shouldn’t be. It should be a ‘normal’ object because it would have meaning for the all readers, including people with a speech or braille tool, especially when I would add an alternative text. The situation can be a result of the conversion from the source program, or I have marked an object as an artefact and later regret it.

Now I have difficulties changing those objects and making them available to users of accessibility tools. In the Content panel, I can click on those items and choose ‘remove Artifact’. After that, it is shown in that panel as a ‘normal’ object. However, in its window, all fields are greyed out. The former artefacts don’t show up in the Tags panel either (which was the whole point of the change).

So designating an object as an artefact looks like a one-way change. Does somebody know how to make it a two-way action?

Best regards,

Bram

TOPICS
How to, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the reading order tools (aka, Touch Up Reading Order) in the Order panel.

1. From the Order panel's options menu, select Show Reading Order Panel.
  2. Use your cursor to draw/select the item you want to un-artifact.
  3. From the Order Panel, select what item/tag you want it to have, such as Text <P> or <Figure>.

The tagged item should now appear in the Tags tree. You might have to drag the tag up/down in the tag tree to correct its reading order.

Touch Up Reading Order tools.Touch Up Reading Order tools.       TURO-02.png

Bevi Chagnon | Designer & Technologist for Accessible InDesign + PDFs | Books @ www.PubCom.com/books — NEW! Accessible InDesign + PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days ago this was discussed as a known bug, since removing an object like that  messes up the tagging structure throughout the document.

This is definitely unchartered waters for me too, but I would say that instead of removing any artifacts run a full check with the Accessibility Checker tool and spot discrepancies.

This will aid you in figuring out what exactly needs to be addressed. See ere: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/create-verify-pdf-accessibility.html

As a matter of fact, instead of just removing the artifacts you may need to change the artifact type to work around this issue. And in the  worse case scenario, when everything else fails, recreating the PDF from scratch may be the only way to go at this point.

Please see if any of  these additional  guidances are relevant :

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote: "A few days ago this was discussed as a known bug, since removing an object like that messes up the tagging structure throughout the document."

Curious: where was this discussed? Would like to read the thread and discussion.

FYI, PDF/UA-1 has always required that all objects be tagged. The choices are:

• whether it will be tagged with one of the standard tags (P, H1, L, etc.),
  • or tagged with a custom tag (not recommended at this time because AT can't recognize them yet),
  • or artifacted.

Removing the object, rather than tagging or artifacting it, will definitely foul up the tag tree and its accessibility.

All PDF objects must be tagged or artifacted. That's not a recent bug, but a long-standing requirement of the standard.

Bevi Chagnon | Designer & Technologist for Accessible InDesign + PDFs | Books @ www.PubCom.com/books — NEW! Accessible InDesign + PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
ls_rbls LATEST
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course.

Here's the thread :

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/losing-tags-after-editing-document-in-acrobat-dc/m-p/11412765... 

You mentioned about it.

But in that thread the user was losing tagged content and not having the ability to fix it without the rest of the  content getting messed up in an irreversible way.

This is  what I understood this current discussion was all about since the user did mentioned artifacts are not showing up in the content panel.

I apologize if this is off the main topic but I thought the user could've find that other discussion insightful.

The other thread that I was following is about another user who brought forward a similar observation.

He suspects is a bug (which could also be related in some way to this conversation) and he mentions about decorative artifacts that doesn't get tagged with the appropriate artifact when he tried to fix something and consequently it messes up the whole content:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/fixing-decorative-items-creates-lt-artifact-gt-tag/m-p/113997... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0