Highlighted

Retain text after printing?

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to retain the text associated with a document (allowing you to select text) after printing to PDF (to change paper size, etc.)? I am wondering this in general, but my specific case is that I would like to print 2 pages to a sheet but retain selectable text. Is this possible? Thanks.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Retain text after printing?

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to retain the text associated with a document (allowing you to select text) after printing to PDF (to change paper size, etc.)? I am wondering this in general, but my specific case is that I would like to print 2 pages to a sheet but retain selectable text. Is this possible? Thanks.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, General troubleshooting, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when you print to Adobe PDF on Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am printing to PDF on Windows, from Acrobat. I mean, it's already a PDF file, but when I print it to PDF using the Adobe PDF printer (to a new PDF file) it loses the text. It's like it's just images. Is there some specific setting that needs to be selected to retain the text?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't print as image.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you printing a PDF to a PDF? This is not a good workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is considered something you should NEVER do, no matter how much it seems a convenient way to get a job done. So much is lost and damaged by it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was given a document that someone else had printed from another piece of software that split the oversize pages into two halves so they are now interleaved in the PDF I have, with the left halves on the odd pages and the right halves on the even pages. I do not have the original document. I would like to recombine the pages but retain the text selection ability if possible. Printing 2 pages to a sheet loses the text - unless there is something I am missing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
ls_rbls LATEST
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how large is this document. But I would say that, given the circumstances of not having the original document on hand, you're better off by recreating it from scratch. Printing to PDf is just flattening (refrying) your entire document.

So by recreating I mean to export this document directly to a  .docx file format instead (not the same as the Save As option).

Then open the .docx file directly in Acrobat Pro DC so that it can  handle the conversion to PDF automatically. 

You should be able to retain most (if not everything) using this method. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0