Highlighted

Retaining standalone copy of Acrobat Pro when installing Acrobat DC on an iMac running OSX

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/free-trial-download.html, Adobe indicates:

Installation of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC trial by default uninstalls any earlier version of Adobe Acrobat on Windows devices. If you choose to retain the existing Acrobat software on your machine, change the default by unchecking the “Remove earlier version” option in Acrobat downloader UI. If you have uninstalled the previous version, then you can reinstall it when you are finished with the trial. Make sure you have your original serial number and installation files.

First, it's unclear to me what the downloader UI (I presume User Interface) is.  It does not appear to be a component of the installer, and I never saw a check box or other indication for deselecting "Remove earlier version."  My freestanding version of Acrobat Pro was running during the install, and does not appear to have been affected. Just wondering what the situation is here. Is the fact that my older version of Acrobat Pro was running at the time of install mean that it will remain intact and operable? Where is the checkbox to deselect "Remove earlier version" located exactly?

P.S. - I vehemently disagree with default removal of any of my applications from my system, and I loathe the new subscription model of pricing to which most large software developers have moved in order to maintain steady cash flow and increase revenue.  I understand it, but I hate it.  I would prefer to have a perpetual license in a given product version, not one that expires periodically and renders a product unusable. Call me an old fart, but I still have my late parents' Sunbeam automatic toaster that was manufactured in 1956, and it not only still works, but works better that any of the crappy new toasters one can buy in the store today. When I buy a product, I expect it to last a long time before it gives out. I don't want to have to purchase the use of a software application every month or every year, any more than I would want to lease a toaster on a monthly or yearly basis. For God's sake, some of us are on fixed incomes. Now, get off my lawn!

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Retaining standalone copy of Acrobat Pro when installing Acrobat DC on an iMac running OSX

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/free-trial-download.html, Adobe indicates:

Installation of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC trial by default uninstalls any earlier version of Adobe Acrobat on Windows devices. If you choose to retain the existing Acrobat software on your machine, change the default by unchecking the “Remove earlier version” option in Acrobat downloader UI. If you have uninstalled the previous version, then you can reinstall it when you are finished with the trial. Make sure you have your original serial number and installation files.

First, it's unclear to me what the downloader UI (I presume User Interface) is.  It does not appear to be a component of the installer, and I never saw a check box or other indication for deselecting "Remove earlier version."  My freestanding version of Acrobat Pro was running during the install, and does not appear to have been affected. Just wondering what the situation is here. Is the fact that my older version of Acrobat Pro was running at the time of install mean that it will remain intact and operable? Where is the checkbox to deselect "Remove earlier version" located exactly?

P.S. - I vehemently disagree with default removal of any of my applications from my system, and I loathe the new subscription model of pricing to which most large software developers have moved in order to maintain steady cash flow and increase revenue.  I understand it, but I hate it.  I would prefer to have a perpetual license in a given product version, not one that expires periodically and renders a product unusable. Call me an old fart, but I still have my late parents' Sunbeam automatic toaster that was manufactured in 1956, and it not only still works, but works better that any of the crappy new toasters one can buy in the store today. When I buy a product, I expect it to last a long time before it gives out. I don't want to have to purchase the use of a software application every month or every year, any more than I would want to lease a toaster on a monthly or yearly basis. For God's sake, some of us are on fixed incomes. Now, get off my lawn!

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as you install any part of the Cloud, even a trial, it replaces your program management system
-if you plan to keep using CS6 (or earlier) you should NOT install a Cloud program, not even a trial
-Read Cloud takes over https://community.adobe.com/t5/Get-Started/Get-off-the-cloud/td-p/8075485 for some ideas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Installation of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC trial by default uninstalls any earlier version of Adobe Acrobat on Windows devices..." I think you may have missed the word Windows.This is not applicable to Mac.

Note that older versions of Acrobat will not run in Catalina, and new Macs don't come with anything older than Catalina, so unless you can carefully preserve a museum system for museum apps you will lose old versions anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm still hanging onto OSX 13.1.2. Hate being dependent on offsite apps, but what can you do? I guess there's always Open Source stuff. Thanks.

SWK

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0