Reusing the same form without having to rename each field every time

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a form that is used to fill out details from an activity (date, time, person, rating, etc.), I will have a file that will have multiple copies of these forms in one file. The ones I have so far, I have uniquely named each field so that it doesn't duplicate the response across each form. However, as others add more forms to this - they will have to either individually rename each field when they add a new form, or it will just duplicate the response from a like-named field on a separate form.

I want to prevent having to manually go in and rename every time. Is there something that I can do that will cause the form to auto-generate field names on the form each time a new copy is added to the file? It isn't feasible for me to have everyone rename each field each time they add a new form - so I'm hoping there is an easy way (template? script?) that can be in place.

Thanks!

I hope this makes sense.

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, How to, PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use template pages and spawn this pages with the rename option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, doing so requires setting up a Template object and then using a script to spawn copies of it. One of the parameters of this script can be set to automatically rename the fields. Do you have any scripting experience in Acrobat?

If you're interested, I've developed a (paid-for) tool that will allow you to do it easily and quickly, without having to write any code. You can find it here: https://www.try67.com/tool/acrobat-duplicate-pages-of-a-pdf-file-including-form-fields

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should merge your forms into a PDF Portfolio so you won't have this problem:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/overview-pdf-portfolios.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines