• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reverse Page Order

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you can reverse the page order when printing out of InDesign (via Print Dialog "General" options) but is there a quick and easy (non-3rd party plug-in or script) to reverse page order within Acrobat DC.

On looking up other answers; a MVP said he would never see a need for this but here in Wales, UK we have native Welsh language and English speakers and we produce a lot of bilingual documents, often with one language reversed and rotated to make up one half of a booklet.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

I've created a free utility that allows you to do it with a single click in Acrobat: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Reverse Page Order (FREE)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a free utility that allows you to do it with a single click in Acrobat: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Reverse Page Order (FREE)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - will take a look.

I always looking for a non-script/plug-in workaround solution as given the vastness of Adobe programmes there is often a little overlooked trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I always looking for a non-script/plug-in workaround solution

Go to : https://acrobatusers.com/actions-exchange

Select "Browse: Acrobat X" and search for "Reverse Page Order" in this page, you'll get a free Acrobat Action.:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those Actions use a script as well... There's no other way of doing it, unless you do it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful. This script not only reverses the pages, it also dramatically reduces file size (a ~500mb PDF file to ~100mb). I have an old script from 2011 "Reverse Page Order.sequ" which still works on Acrobat Pro DC 2022. It reverses pages without affecting file size. I can send it if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does no such thing. The only thing the script does is reverse the page order. What causes the file-size to reduce (I'm guessing) is when you use the Save As command to save the file under a new name, which causes it to be optimized. This is a good thing, by the way...

At any rate, I'm willing to bet that the Action you mentioned uses exactly the same code (in principle) as my script. It just overwrites the file under the same name, so no optimization takes place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not use "Save As", just save the file (cmd+S). I thought it had something to do with Acrobat settings but it works fine with the other script... The other script does one more thing: after reversing the pages, it opens a window and ask to save the file (under the same name or under a different name). Here is the other script (WeTransfer): https://we.tl/t-NAGlJi0NAN 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I thought, the code in this Action is identical to the one in my script. The only difference is in how the file is saved later on, but that has nothing to do with the script, which doesn't save it at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your script with Acrobat Pro X, it's working (the size of the file didn't change). But it still does not work on Acrobat Pro DC 2022 although I'm just clicking on save (cmd+s)... File decreases in size. I guess it has something to do with the Acrobat 2022 settings (??) but then why it's working fine with the other script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: In Acrobat DC go to Edit (or the Acrobat app menu if you're on a Mac) - Preferences - Documents and tick off "Always reduce size for files more than 10 MB".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's already disabled. It's strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a very easy way:

1. open the pdf file that you want to reverse.
  2. then go to file \ print.
  3. choose the printer "Adobe PDF".
  4. in "pages to print" section click on "more options".
  5. you will see a checkbox "Reverse pages", check it.
  6. print your file.

that's it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's maybe easy, but it's a very bad way of doing it. You will get rid of bookmarks, form fields, comments, metadata, etc., in the process, and it's not possible on a Mac machine. Just use my script instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you have a document with all of those features that is in reverse? If someone has a reversed pdf I would think it would be a scan and therefore none of that stuff matters and the best solution is printing to pdf. Also, some people work with proprietary files and are unable to download and use scripts due to firewalls or company policy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing PDF to PDF is now considered very poor practice. I advise against it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is old but, I don't think you understand the question bro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the newest version and this trick is not working anymore.

redorder problem.png

and Yeah, I checked all the boxes in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Adobe Acrobat do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works with Acrobat DC.

Have you checked to see if there is any security applied to the PDF?

The following folder level script is add an "Edit" menu item to reverse the pages in a PDF. This will only work with Acrobat.

// Add a menu item to reverse all pages in the active document
// Complements: Planet PDF (http://www.planetpdf.com/)

// Applies only to Acrobat. Not possible in Adobe Reader.

if(app.viewerType != "Reader") {

app.addMenuItem({ cName: "Reverse Pages", cParent: "Edit", cExec: "PPReversePages();", cEnable: "event.rc = (event.target != null);", nPos: 0
});

function PPReversePages()
{
var t = app.thermometer;
t.duration = this.numPages;
t.begin();
for (i = this.numPages - 1; i >= 0; i--)
{
  t.value = (i-this.numPages)*-1;
  this.movePage(i);
  t.text = 'Moving page ' + (i + 1);
}
t.end();
return true;
} // end PRReversePages function;

} // end not Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't mean to rehash old wounds or old threads, but thank you GKaiseril.  Your fix works in DC pro.  I added it to the javascripts folder as ReversePages.js and it works just fine.  I also tried a few other methods.  Here they are...

Long Way:

Move every page to where it needs to be...

IF you have a lot of pages, this doesn't work well...

Medium length:

1. Scan into DC and then name the document.  Now you want to extract the pages to a folder all their own.

2.  For pages 1-9, add a 0 (zero) before the number at the end of the file name.

3.  Back in DC, Create a PDF from multiple files, select them all, starting with the last, holding shift and selecting all the way back to the first.  This only works sometimes, but not always... ...But if your selection works, they will be in reverse order.  If not, just click the Name tab and it will reverse their order.

4. Click create PDF.  Now they are all in the correct order.  Save.

Shortest:

Put GKaiseril's script into a plain text editor like notepad or textedit, change the format to plain text, then save as, and in windows, save as "ALL FILES", on mac this is not necessary; when you give it a name, give it the extension .js  (dot js), and save the file to the application file folder where the Javascripts files are located.  On windows that's programfiles(x86), adobe, Acrobat DC, Acrobat, Javascripts.  On the mac, you'll have to open the package file of the .app file of your Applications folder, but the resources will be under Acrobat>Javascripts or Resources>Javascripts.  After you put the file there, scan your documents, then just save, go to edit, select reverse pages, save, done.

This last only seems longer.  Once you have the script installed, you can do it all day and night, instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really shortest:

Put GKaiseril's script into a plain text editor like notepad or textedit, comment or remove useless lines, then save as an "Action" using Acrobat's Action Wizard.

// function PPReversePages()

// {

var t = app.thermometer;

t.duration = this.numPages;

t.begin();

for (i = this.numPages - 1; i >= 0; i--)

{

t.value = (i-this.numPages)*-1;

this.movePage(i);

t.text = 'Moving page ' + (i + 1);

}

t.end();

return true;

// } // end PRReversePages function;

// } // end not Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent.... Very short method. but taking too much time to reverse all pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21204160326074636bdcp_0-1662989239258.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the print to pdf option jsut now. I'm getting an error: Acrobat wants me to save-as if I want a pdf, not print. Is there a way to add Acrobat pdf as a printer in my Mac system preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines