• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Roman Numerals read as Numbers for Accessibility in Acrobat

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have a document with roman numerals, but when it is read by a document reader, it reads "i, 2, 3, 4 v" instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Does anyone know how to change how a document is read for accessibility?

Note: I've tried to "Add Note to Replace Text," but that did not work. 

Thank you! CM

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's possible. Imagine if you did that, though. How will it know whether "I" is the first-person singular pronoun or "one"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to permanently change the letters i or v to numbers. I just want to replace them in this instance where they are not reading correctly. 

For example - I tried right-clicking on v and selected "Add Note to Replace Text." I then added the note 5. However, this didn't replace the text in reading. 

Wouldn't you want your end-user to be able to understand the content? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure, but then you need to be willing to manually set all the instances of "I" as "one" where it's used as a Roman Numeral, as the application can't know when to do that on its own. It seems it can pick it up on its own when it's two characters (like "ii"), but not for single ones ("i", "v", etc.).

The method you tried to do it is not how it should be done. What you did is just add a comment over it.

I believe there's some kind of tag that can be set to tell the TTS engine how to read certain words, but I can't provide exact instructions, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines