Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving a PDF after highlighting

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have been having problems saving my PDF's when using Acrobat Reader DC. The process I do is as follows:

Find a nice paper I want to read and comment on (by highlighting). Save said paper with a name, let's say 2021_ARDC.pdf in my personal folder, located on an external drive.
Make comments on the 2021_ARDC.pdf- file (highlighting, mainly).

Save the file (by CTRL+S, or regular save). I get a regular save-as-prompt, but when saving it under the same name, I get the "Error":
This file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.

Strangely enough, if I open an additional PDF, I do not get this problem. Then, I am able to save the original file without any problems. I don't even get the save-as prompt any more then even, CTRL+S will just save it immediately!

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Kind regards.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out.

We did check the description of the issue shared above and that shouldn't happen. 

In Reader DC, when you click on the Save icon or use Ctrl+S, Save as window appears. Then you can save the file in the same folder with the same name. You will only get a prompt to replace the existing file with the new one.

However, in your case, you get the error message. Could you please confirm if the issue occurs only with this particular file? Try replicating the same steps with other PDFs to check.

Would you mind sharing that file with us to check it on our end? 

It would be helpful if you can share the video of the issue occurring at your end. Also, share the Reader DC and OS version on the machine.

Let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Meenakshi,

Luckily, I have a small basis in computer sciences, and I had done those steps beforehand ;). I have recorded a video for you:

https://streamable.com/61669f

Note that I use ctrl+S to save, but I tested it with regular saving as well, and there is no difference.

The reader DC version is:

Ivo5EEB_0-1609771026293.png

My OS is Windows 10:

Ivo5EEB_1-1609771209004.png

I hope this is sufficient.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, any update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

Sorry for the delay in response.

We did try to check the link that you have shared. However, we cannot play that video.

Would you mind sharing another link and the sample file so we can replicate the behavior? 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, no problem.

Youtube link https://youtu.be/zgDS2uaf8OI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this:

In Windows Explorer select the second document, don't open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines