• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving over an existing PDF file

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I use a program that prints to a PDF file. As part of the workflow, I have to re-save over that same file many times. If I use a web browser such as Chrome with a PDF viewer plug-in, I can save over my original file again and again (while it is open), then I refresh the browser and see the updated file. But browser are not stable and I don't want to rely on a browser, so I am trying to use some Adobe product.

The issue: I cannot save over the original file if I have it opened in Adobe Acrobat, which gives me more editing options and it is more stable than a web browser.

Can anyone, please, tell me if there is a way to open up a file in Acrobat (or maybe another program) and still be able to save over the original file, while it is open and in use?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

You should be able to save over an existing document with a different filename using many different  types of software out there, but I'm afraid that is not the case when you're handling PDF documents with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Acrobat "Save As" feature will save a copy of the source file with a new filename but as a fallback mechanism it will keep the source PDF that you're "saving as" intact with the last changes that were made to it at that point. This is due to the JavaScript security oper

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to save over an existing document with a different filename using many different  types of software out there, but I'm afraid that is not the case when you're handling PDF documents with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Acrobat "Save As" feature will save a copy of the source file with a new filename but as a fallback mechanism it will keep the source PDF that you're "saving as" intact with the last changes that were made to it at that point. This is due to the JavaScript security operation(s) involved when using save or save as in this type of environment.

Check the following article from PDFScripting.com that explains in greater detail how this works: https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/How-to-Save-a-PDF-2.cfm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much @ls_rbls 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines