Saving web pages with Adobe PDF does not result in searchable text

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I would like to use save a webpage as PDF using Adobe PDF in Chrome/Firefox. Unfortunately, the output's texts cannot be searched nor highlighted correctly. Some sites would be printed like images. Chrome's Save as PDF works but it is limited unlike Adobe PDF (no custom page size, etc.). The Adobe Acrobat extension can render the text correctly but I cannot control its print scaling.

I have spent too much time looking for answers, but I haven't found the solution. Hoping to find the solution here.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the steps you are using to make the PDF from Chrome/Firefox that the text is not searchable?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue over the past few years.  The steps I am using to make the PDF from Chrome/Firefox that results in PDFs where the text is not searchable are as follows:

1. In Google Chrome (latest version), browse to any web page
  2. In Google Chrome, start the process to print that web page's contents to a PDF, Ctrl+P
  3. In Google Chrome's print interface, the "desitnation" has a pull-down menu to select thr printer.  When I select "Adobe PDF," it then asks where to save that PDF file.  I believe this utilizes the version I have installed, Adobe Acrobat Distiller 2017 for Windows.  I run your sofwtare on Windows 10, 64-bit.
  4. After saving the web page contents to PDF, I open the PDF file in Adobe Acrobat 2017, and find that the text is not searchable.  It seems like Adobe acrobat was not able to recognize the text.  I can attached a PDF I've made like this, but don't see an option here on the Adobe Community support forum.  When I try to copy the text from the web page I've saved as a PDF, that text pastes as nonsense code; " 

!"# (6)7*8+-8,,-9. :)8++2/+0% ;&0
    <'1&= +>&,)2*,?4345 􀀀$ ^EFNQ-@DF6KSBF*>[OGG_/4RN, (MHW<0/=GMIS+(\S;+T'PTJ8H-4aKR/HL 0OS-UbM;8UFcTB.F dJG+ eX/,KJ ,VGYY= TQ20]AMJ[UG.UGN+8LG]NK0 SXM;TIT.FEGM ZG8GUCfR/G LS+OUFT gO7SOM]TP 7UbFG=eYJJ+KLTS3M HOOGPTL]
    *-4?CDash?>7>.+93=9B/8B+*=,iz=97=**,A/,=B3+-?jv./-= >)+C8+,0/4 B>9/0,94k+.//B0- - +,=x82u4>04l ,0B+005 /8 )?w)mtA1,.u,,4n+0// -=*+8+.o7/+,+,p4=-4=/q 4A0084+B-+l -1y0;>B' r 22=>?8'B80B03=.).1 ,,BBv=79>,0=8+0+08* 0?=-4+ 492 ,{=34./. 8BA07++"

Why is Adobe Acrobat Distiller 2017 for Windows behaving this way, and how can I fix it?  Thanks, PATRICK

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines