Highlighted

Search and highlight funky

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I printed to PDF from a webpage. The file saves correctly and is shown correctly on the monitor. I search for a word that I see in the document but it is not found. I do a text recognition and it states the file contains renderable text.

I cannot highlight an individual word or line. Instead it, the highlight, covers a huge chunk of the page.

Click inside the file and a blinking cursor shows up covering approximately 1/3 of the length of the page.

There is no security on the file.

Any thoughts appreciated.

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Search and highlight funky

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I printed to PDF from a webpage. The file saves correctly and is shown correctly on the monitor. I search for a word that I see in the document but it is not found. I do a text recognition and it states the file contains renderable text.

I cannot highlight an individual word or line. Instead it, the highlight, covers a huge chunk of the page.

Click inside the file and a blinking cursor shows up covering approximately 1/3 of the length of the page.

There is no security on the file.

Any thoughts appreciated.

TOPICS
Comment review and collaborate PDF, Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TapperlsTicked,

If you Printed to PDF on your computer, you were using your computer's PDF generator, not Adobe Acrobat's generator (If you have Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Pro there is also an option to "Save as Adobe PDF").

If the whole page turns blue, that let's you know that no recognision of the text on the page was done, like taking a photo or scan of a page. I do not know why that happened. Oh, one thought, if the pages in question were scanned by someone and posted as is without any attempt to make the text searchable, that could cause what you're seeing. In the original web page, can you select text there?

Meanwhile, I have found the website "Print Friendly" to provide THE BEST converstion of web pages I have found. Assuming that the web page is an actual web page, as opposed to what I suspect above, you will get your best results there. Do a Google search for Print Friendly and follow the instructions to install it on your computer.

Hope something here is of help to you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gary_sc,

Thanks for your time. The file was created with Acrobat's "Save as" function after Adobe was selected from the available printers menu. I could have been more clear in the original post.

The file attached to the original post was created via Acrobat from an on-line training site and displays the characteristics described. I'm just curious why.

Again, thanks for your suggestions and time and I welcome any additional input.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export the text from the first page you will get this:

..ˆ..
..°.".˜.$%&
$!%&'(+)#,&..˜&&°*... -*%)%$&.%.& 
!-.#&..˜&°%...*-% %&.$.&%&
$%&/0"3"#1..2.4....2...$..
8!*"""""'(+-)#5.5!.˜..˜ 2.-&.)ˆ7...&6$.

9::;;<=
>E?JAI?CDF?FG
ID@B@BEBH
KC9

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this to be expected with any secure connection using encryption? This explains why I can't search the text but brings more questions to mind. I'll search the knowledge base as well and appreciate your bringing this to my attention. If you have additional insight I'd love to hear.

Thanks for your time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browser does you use?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Chrome.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will get this when you use Chrome. Try a other browser.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had no idea. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0