• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Secured file may still be downloaded and printed.

Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PDF that I added security to prevent editing and printing.  However when I view it on my website where it is uploaded, I can print it and all security settings are removed.  Is there a way to prevent this.  I want the file to be read, but not printed, edited or downloaded, if possible.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Print and prepress , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be possible with the PDF embed API

https://www.adobe.io/apis/documentcloud/dcsdk/pdf-embed.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloading is just something that has to be done so you can read a file. It isn't something you could stop. Downloading, sharing, copying, all part of the deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I don't see the point of making this document secure.  So any PDF that is supposedly secure could be printed and the security would be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some PDF viewers ignores the security settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locks exist, but so do bolt cutters and lock picking tools, yet people still use them. Why? Because it makes it difficult for the "laymen" to get into your house or car, but a professional, or someone willing enough, will still be able to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is how I checked it out.  I clicked on the link in Firefox and Firefox opened it and gave the option to download or print.  I select print and printed it as a PDF and noted the security was gone.  So I will just remove security and let it go.  I realize there is usually always a way around any block.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines