• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting Bold makes Italic and selecting Italic turns off bold?...

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to edit a colleagues pdf and when I try and add any letters they show up as Italic using the same font or any other font. When I try and desect the Italic button it makes the letters bold and they remain Italisized. When I select Italic again it does nothing. If I select bold it turns the bold off, if I click it a second time it again does nothing.

Summary: the Italic button creates bold and the bold button undoes bold. If I highlight existing text and select bold it Italisizes it. All the other functions work. No function will turn Italics off. I have the latest version of DC Pro. This is pretty maddening.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

For anyone that also encounters these problems I have finally figured out the problem on my own. Acrobat failed to tell me that the Font used in the PDF wasnt installed on my computer. Installing it fixed all these errors and despite what was said here it DOES let me edit the text without issue... 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files were never meant to be edited in this way. If your friend still has the original file used to create the PDF work on that and then generate a new PDF file from it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never meant to be edited in what way? Im simpoly trying to coreect some spelling on a different computer using a file thats not even a month old. They are not my friend, we are coworkers whose organization pays a lot of money for this software. We are both using the creative cloud and latest versions. What I am trying to do is completely reasonable and should work just fine the way it works in every other program. Im not sure why you would justify such an egregious and ridiculous error in software that has been in devolpment for decades. If the option to simply edit a file wasn't "meant to be" then the option shouldnt exist. Blaming the user for obvious program errors is not helpful in the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF is a final format. The static contents of a PDF file were not meant to be edited directly. Over the years Adobe added tools that allow you to do it, but they should only be used as a last resort. And yes, it often goes wrong. Hence my suggestion to go back to the original file and make the changes there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe.com...  "With Adobe Acrobat, you can not only have all the features of Adobe Reader but so much more including the ability to create and edit texts and images in PDF documents."

Youve made up a pretty weird narative to justify software that doesnt work as advertised. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not responsible for the marketing texts Adobe uses to sell its products. And while technically correct (the best kind of correct...), it's far from telling the full story. What I described is how it really is. I understand you don't like it, but that's just the way it is. Acrobat is NOT a word processing tool, and using it as such is a recipe for problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it IS a word processing tool, thats is why there is an edit button, it just doesnt work as advertised.. The 'full story" is acrobat doesnt work properly and its so full of bugs its users have just given up on fidning actual solutions that they pay for and should expect. Id love to see someone who actually works for Adobe admit what you seeem to have no problem with, but that isnt going to happen here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone that also encounters these problems I have finally figured out the problem on my own. Acrobat failed to tell me that the Font used in the PDF wasnt installed on my computer. Installing it fixed all these errors and despite what was said here it DOES let me edit the text without issue... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines