Highlighted

Set PDF default on for all users

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With whatever change that Microsoft made since March 2020, I am not able to save PDF as default for all users.  We are using VMware Horizon View virtual desktops and every refresh when an user logs out, causes the PDF default to reset to Microsoft Reader.  We are using Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro for the gold image.  I am not able to find Microsoft Reader to uninstall in Control Panel or in PC Settings:Apps.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Set PDF default on for all users

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With whatever change that Microsoft made since March 2020, I am not able to save PDF as default for all users.  We are using VMware Horizon View virtual desktops and every refresh when an user logs out, causes the PDF default to reset to Microsoft Reader.  We are using Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro for the gold image.  I am not able to find Microsoft Reader to uninstall in Control Panel or in PC Settings:Apps.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to uninstall or unregister the app from the Microsoft Store.

This problem is affecting MS Windows versions 7, 8, and 10. 

The best guidance I could find for you is this:

http://www.uninstallhelps.com/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-reader-update-2-1-1.html 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it is not listed within any of the options in your link. I appreciate your help. I was hoping someone from Adobe or Microsoft can also chime in and assist. You would think Adobe would have a GPO or other method to combat Microsoft's aggressive takeover of using an acknowledged program that has benefited everyone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes GPO is a way to go about it with the customization wizard, but mainly during installation time and probably disabling automatic updates in the product too, so that only the admin staff handle what to update, not the users.

I will continue to dig more on this. And if I find some useful info I will post it back for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding (VMware engineer indicated this) was that Microsoft changed the file ext parameters and "was trying to prevent" rogue applications taking over the ext. In doing so, they of course default everything to the Microsoft app/function versus 3rd party software keeping the default setting. Needing Adobe to come up with a work around for their software???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not an engineer nor a developer, but, from having an extensive PC repair background under my belt, I don't see how Adobe will be able to circumvent an operating system restriction that was pushed via windows update.

I would say to complain directly to Microsoft about this too. 

Is not the first time that I've seen users getting stuck with similar issues due to Microsoft introducing "revert-to-defaults" with every update, specifically MS Windows 10.

But, you're right. Adobe may have a workaround.

If we look at the Acrobat Virtualization Guide : https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/VirtualizationGuide/vmware.html   , right off the bat it says to disable the updates after all hotfixes are applied amongst other preferences that need to be disabled.

Check with your IT engineer  if he missed any of the steps mentioned in that guide during the virtualization deployment.

See this other section "Windows Virtual Deployment Overview" in the same guide:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I appreciate all of the research! I am the one creating the image, so I have gone through each step and verified the settings on each step. The funny thing is that our image was fine until the March Microsoft updates. We follow all of the VMware guidelines including disabling Adobe & Microsoft updates. We only update the gold image. In regards to the Adobe virtualization guide, it was developed for Adobe Acrobat versus Adobe Reader DC. When we went down the VDI path, I reached out to Adobe about the serial numbers; each install needed its own number, but from a gold image standpoint, they didn't offer one serial number that could purchased for multiple clones, so we just stuck to Reader and used CutePDF for those staff that needed edit ability.

I am hoping Adobe will read these threads and offer some insight. We will be jumping from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 sometime next year and that may also solve this issue.

Again, thanks for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 1
ls_rbls LATEST
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're very welcome.

I forgot to ask what Acrobat product are you using and if it is Continuous Track or Classic Track.

And now that you mentioned that detail about the gold image, that is odd, unless you're on a Classic Track of Acrobat. They should've mentioned or helped you on how to migrate to  Named User Licensing.

As you may be aware of, Adobe deprecated the serializarion for these type of deployments back in 2019. 

To migrate and deserialize your installation see this guide: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/licensing.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0